Apr 15, 2014, 11:32 AM EST
Gonzaga appears to be close to landing center Domantas Sabonis, according to his father, the legendary Lithuanian Arvydas Sabonis.
It’s still unclear whether or not the younger Sabonis will turn pro, but according to a quote given by Arvydas to a couple of different foreign news outlets (here and here), Domantas is leaning towards heading to the States. According to his dad, Gonzaga is the leader if he does make the choice to go to college.
Sabonis is just 17 years old and spent this past season playing with Unicaja in the Spanish ACB, the highest level of basketball in the country. Sabonis is the youngest player in the league, but he’s yet to sign a professional contract in order to keep his NCAA eligibility alive. He averaged 14.0 points and 11.4 boards in the FIBA U-18 tournament in 2013.
Sabonis would be a nice addition to a Gonzaga front line that isn’t going to be terribly deep for the 2014-2015 season. Przemek Karnowski is back and they’ll add Kyle Wiltjer to the mix, but Ryan Edwards, a seven-footer from Montana, could really you a year of seasoning as a redshirt.
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 0
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)