Apr 15, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
A marquee non-conference matchup is close to being set in 2014, as SMU and Gonzaga are negotiating the terms of a home-and-home series beginning in the 2014-2015 season.
This came according to SMU Athletics Director Rick Hart, who tweeted the status of the proposed matchups on Tuesday afternoon.
In the College Basketball Talk Way-Too-Early Preseason Top 25, SMU is ranked No. 10 while Gonzaga is listed at No. 16. The potential clash between the Mustangs and Bulldogs will feature two of the better back courts in the nation in SMU’s Nic Moore and incoming freshman Emmanuel Mudiay going up against the experienced guard tandem of Kevin Pangos and Gary Bell Jr.
Gonzaga finished in the Round of 32 after receiving a No. 8 seed. The Zags struggled to win a quality non-conference game last season, dropping contests to Memphis, Kansas State and Dayton. The loss to the Flyers in the opening round of the Maui Invitational put the Bulldogs in the wrong side of the bracket, leaving them to go head-to-head with Division II Chaminade and Cal instead of games against Baylor and possibly Syracuse.
A quality non-conference opponent would help bolster SMU’s resume. On Selection Sunday, the Mustangs saw their bubble burst as the selection committee punished the Ponies for a weak schedule.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Led by senior forward Alan Williams, UCSB capable of earning first NCAA tournament bid since 2011 0
- Behind Thompson and Comer, Dunk City looks to take flight once again this March 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)
- NCAA approves waiver to allow player with terminal cancer to play (1)