Apr 16, 2014, 7:25 PM EST
Back in early October Arizona State head coach Herb Sendek removed any doubt as to what would happen at the end of the 2013-14 season with regards to point guard Jahii Carson, revealing that the sophomore would be entering the 2014 NBA Draft. Wednesday afternoon the school made the news official via press release, with the 5-foot-10 floor general moving on to the professional ranks after playing two years in Tempe.
“After discussing all my options with my family, teammates and coaches, I have decided to enter the 2014 NBA Draft,” Carson said in the release. “My time at ASU has helped me mature as a student, athlete and person and has prepared me to take this next step in my career. I cannot thank Coach Sendek enough for allowing me to be a part of such an incredible Sun Devils community and I look forward to cheering on my teammates and all their future success.”
Carson, who shared Pac-12 Freshman of the Year honors with UCLA’s Shabazz Muhammad last season, averaged 18.6 points, 4.6 assists and 4.0 rebounds per game in helping lead the Sun Devils to their first NCAA tournament appearance since 2009. Carson failed to reach double figures in scoring just four times this past season, with his best performance being a 40-point outing in a win at UNLV in November.
Carson was a first team All-Pac-12 selection in each of his two seasons as a Sun Devil. As a freshman, Carson averaged 18.5 points and 5.1 assists per contest.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 0
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)