Apr 16, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT
Back in early October Arizona State head coach Herb Sendek removed any doubt as to what would happen at the end of the 2013-14 season with regards to point guard Jahii Carson, revealing that the sophomore would be entering the 2014 NBA Draft. Wednesday afternoon the school made the news official via press release, with the 5-foot-10 floor general moving on to the professional ranks after playing two years in Tempe.
“After discussing all my options with my family, teammates and coaches, I have decided to enter the 2014 NBA Draft,” Carson said in the release. “My time at ASU has helped me mature as a student, athlete and person and has prepared me to take this next step in my career. I cannot thank Coach Sendek enough for allowing me to be a part of such an incredible Sun Devils community and I look forward to cheering on my teammates and all their future success.”
Carson, who shared Pac-12 Freshman of the Year honors with UCLA’s Shabazz Muhammad last season, averaged 18.6 points, 4.6 assists and 4.0 rebounds per game in helping lead the Sun Devils to their first NCAA tournament appearance since 2009. Carson failed to reach double figures in scoring just four times this past season, with his best performance being a 40-point outing in a win at UNLV in November.
Carson was a first team All-Pac-12 selection in each of his two seasons as a Sun Devil. As a freshman, Carson averaged 18.5 points and 5.1 assists per contest.
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)