Apr 16, 2014, 10:59 PM EDT
After averaging just 2.3 points and 1.1 rebounds per game as a freshman, Michigan guard Caris LeVert emerged as one of the most improved players in the Big Ten in 2013-14. With more playing time available due to the early departure of Tim Hardaway Jr. (and Trey Burke) LeVert took advantage, raising his averages to 12.9 points, 4.3 rebounds and 2.9 assists per contest.
That progression had some wondering whether or not LeVert would make a move towards entering his name in the 2014 NBA Draft pool. But Wednesday night at the team’s postseason banquet LeVert confirmed that he’ll be back in Ann Arbor for his junior season.
LeVert confirmed that he joined Stauskas, Robinson and fellow sophomore Mitch McGary in applying for an evaluation from the NBA Undergraduate Advisory Committee following the end of season.
“There was definitely a time when I talked (about considering entering the draft) over with (the coaching staff) and my mom, but, I mean, it was kind of an easy decision for me,” LeVert said.
Obviously the return of LeVert is good news for Michigan, which loses both Glenn Robinson III and Nik Stauskas after they announced their intentions to enter the 2014 NBA Draft on Tuesday. The one question mark that remains is the status of big man Mitch McGary, who is still going through the decision-making process.
McGary played in just eight games due to a lower back injury, but he remains on NBA draft boards with Draft Express projecting him to be a late-first/early-second round pick. The NBA’s early entry deadline for prospects is April 27.
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 2
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)