Apr 16, 2014, 4:40 PM EST
The 2013-14 season was a disappointing one for Purdue, with Matt Painter’s Boilermakers finishing 15-17 overall and 5-13 in Big Ten play. Among the players expected to lead the way next season for a group that hopes to turn things around is center A.J. Hammons, who on Wednesday announced that he’ll be returning to West Lafayette for his junior season.
As a sophomore Hammons averaged 10.8 points, 7.4 rebounds and 3.1 blocks per game, earning Honorable Mention All-Big Ten honors while also being named to the league’s All-Defensive Team.
“I’ve decided to stay and continue my education here at Purdue, and there are a lot of goals I still want to accomplish with my teammates on the court,” Hammons said in the release. “First and foremost, we want to get back to the postseason and compete for a Big Ten title. I feel like we owe our fans some better basketball.
“Purdue is a special place with a lot of great people and I’m excited to continue my education here and be a part of a great community.”
The Boilermakers will have to account for the loss of their top two scorers from a year ago, with Terone Johnson having graduated and younger brother Ronnie deciding to transfer. However five of their top seven scorers return, led by Hammons and guard Kendall Stephens.
Purdue also adds a five-member recruiting class, with the recent signing of point guard P.J. Thompson giving the program some needed depth on the perimeter after the loss of both Johnson brothers.
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 5
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)