Apr 17, 2014, 11:43 AM EST
The star of Marquette’s 2014 recruiting class won’t be heading to Marquette after all.
Ahmed Hill announced on twitter on Thursday night that he had been released from his letter of intent and will be reopening his recruitment. Hill is a 6-foot-5 off-guard from Georgia that ranks as the No. 69 recruit in the country, according to Rivals.
Hill is the first of Marquette’s five-man recruiting class to make it official that he will not be a Golden Eagle under new head coach Steve Wojciechowski. Malek Harris and Marial Shayok are still considering Marquette while reopening their recruitment. Sandy Cohen, another top 100 guard, confirmed that he will still be attending Marquette while Satchel Pierce has said nothing publicly either way.
Hill tweeted to Marquette fans last night:
“To all the Marquette fans, students and alumni: I truly love Marquette and wish that I could have put on that uniform and played in front of you guys. Unfortunately, I chose Marquette because of the relationship me and Coach Buzz and Coach Chew had. I just didn’t feel that same relationship with the new coach. [Your] guys school was great, it truly was. I have been released from Marquette and I will choose a decide on another college. This was a difficult decision that me and my family thought and prayed about. Sorry if I let any of you guys down, sorry MU Nation, love you guys.”
First of all, that’s a class gesture from Hill.
Second of all, this is the second example in three days of a player committing to a coach instead of a school. Kingsley Okoroh committed to Tennessee on Monday. Cuonzo Martin left Tennessee for Cal on Tuesday. An hour later, Okoroh was committed to Cal.
Maybe one day the NCAA will admit as much, particularly when it comes to the signing of a national letter of intent.
And maybe one day I’ll be as rich as Bill Gates.
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- Chase for 180: Boise State rebounds from 0-3 conference start thanks to Derrick Marks 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)