Apr 17, 2014, 11:43 AM EDT
The star of Marquette’s 2014 recruiting class won’t be heading to Marquette after all.
Ahmed Hill announced on twitter on Thursday night that he had been released from his letter of intent and will be reopening his recruitment. Hill is a 6-foot-5 off-guard from Georgia that ranks as the No. 69 recruit in the country, according to Rivals.
Hill is the first of Marquette’s five-man recruiting class to make it official that he will not be a Golden Eagle under new head coach Steve Wojciechowski. Malek Harris and Marial Shayok are still considering Marquette while reopening their recruitment. Sandy Cohen, another top 100 guard, confirmed that he will still be attending Marquette while Satchel Pierce has said nothing publicly either way.
Hill tweeted to Marquette fans last night:
“To all the Marquette fans, students and alumni: I truly love Marquette and wish that I could have put on that uniform and played in front of you guys. Unfortunately, I chose Marquette because of the relationship me and Coach Buzz and Coach Chew had. I just didn’t feel that same relationship with the new coach. [Your] guys school was great, it truly was. I have been released from Marquette and I will choose a decide on another college. This was a difficult decision that me and my family thought and prayed about. Sorry if I let any of you guys down, sorry MU Nation, love you guys.”
First of all, that’s a class gesture from Hill.
Second of all, this is the second example in three days of a player committing to a coach instead of a school. Kingsley Okoroh committed to Tennessee on Monday. Cuonzo Martin left Tennessee for Cal on Tuesday. An hour later, Okoroh was committed to Cal.
Maybe one day the NCAA will admit as much, particularly when it comes to the signing of a national letter of intent.
And maybe one day I’ll be as rich as Bill Gates.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 3
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)