Apr 17, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Former Murray State guard Zay Jackson is headed to Southeastern Louisiana, NBCSports.com confirmed. Jackson’s hometown — Hammond, LA — is the same city where Southeastern Louisiana is located and his former high school coach, Errol Gauff, is on the new coaching staff there.
The news was first reported by Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com.
Jackson has an interesting back story. As a freshman with the Racers in 2011-2012, he averaged 4.9 points in 18.4 minutes on a team that made it until mid-February before suffering their first loss of the season and was expected to be a key component of Murray State’s life after Isaiah Canaan.
That all evaporated prior to the 2012-2013 season when Jackson ran over two people with his car after a confrontation in a Walmart parking lot. He eventually served 60 days in jail for the crime and was reinstated to the program prior to the 2013-2014 season. But in October of 2013, Jackson suffered a torn ACL and LCL, which ended his season and, eventually, his Murray State career.
He finished up the semester and left the program.
According to NCAA transfer rules, Jackson will have to spend a year in residency at Southeastern Louisiana before becoming eligible in 2015-2016. In that scenario, he’d have one season of eligibility remaining. But since he’s missed the last two seasons — one because of his criminal actions and one because of a knee injury — he may be able to apply for the same waiver from the NCAA that was given to Memphis guard Michael Dixon this season.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)