Apr 17, 2014, 5:56 PM EST
With starter Sam Dower Jr. out of eligibility, Gonzaga was in a position where another front court body wouldn’t hurt matters as they look to make yet another NCAA tournament appearance in 2015. Thursday it was reported by multiple outlets and later announced by the school itself that 6-foot-10 forward Domantas Sabonis will join the program next season.
Sabonis, the son of Naismith Basketball Hall of Famer Arvydas Sabonis, played this past season with Unicaja Malaga in the Spanish Liga ACB but did not sign a professional contract in order to preserve his college eligibility. Sabonis averaged 2.8 points and 2.4 rebounds in just over ten minutes of action per game in Liga ACB action, shooting 47.7% from the field.
Sabonis also played in 19 Euroleague (European basketball’s answer to the Champions League) games, posting averages of 2.7 points and 2.0 rebounds per game.
“[Domantas] is a skilled basketball player who should have an immediate impact on our program,” Gonzaga head coach Mark Few said in the school release. “We’re excited to have the opportunity to allow him to continue his development as a basketball player while continuing his education.”
Few also noted in the release that 7-footer Ryan Edwards, who was a freshman this past season, is hoping to redshirt this season.
Sabonis joins a front court rotation that will include returning starter Przemek Karnowski, Kentucky transfer Kyle Wiltjer, who’s now eligible after sitting out last season per NCAA transfer rules, Angel Nuñez and Lucas Meikle. He’s also the fourth member of Gonzaga’s 2014 recruiting class (not counting Wiltjer), with guards Brian Alberts, Silas Melson and Josh Perkins being the other three signees.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 0
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)