Apr 17, 2014, 7:17 PM EST
On the heels of a 24-win season in which Green Bay won the Horizon League regular season title and appeared in the Postseason NIT, head coach Brian Wardle has received a new five-year contract. The news was announced by the school Thursday afternoon, and in four seasons at the helm Wardle has a record of 70-56.
“A Horizon League Championship, a 24-win season, Player of the Year, Defensive Player of the Year and postseason play certainly elevated Phoenix men’s basketball this year, and I am thrilled Brian and his staff will continue to lead our men as we strive to get to the next level,” Green Bay AD Mary-Ellen Gillespie stated in the release.
The Phoenix will have to account for the loss of three seniors led by 7-foot-1 forward/center Alec Brown, but four of their top five scorers from the 2013-14 season will return led by guard Keifer Sykes. Sykes averaged 20.3 points, 4.8 assists and 4.4 rebounds per game as a junior, earning Horizon League Player of the Year honors.
Green Bay’s regular season title was their first league crown since 1995-96, and the Phoenix played in a postseason tournament for the second consecutive season. Green Bay participated in the CIT in 2013.
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 12
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (12)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)