Apr 17, 2014, 7:17 PM EDT
On the heels of a 24-win season in which Green Bay won the Horizon League regular season title and appeared in the Postseason NIT, head coach Brian Wardle has received a new five-year contract. The news was announced by the school Thursday afternoon, and in four seasons at the helm Wardle has a record of 70-56.
“A Horizon League Championship, a 24-win season, Player of the Year, Defensive Player of the Year and postseason play certainly elevated Phoenix men’s basketball this year, and I am thrilled Brian and his staff will continue to lead our men as we strive to get to the next level,” Green Bay AD Mary-Ellen Gillespie stated in the release.
The Phoenix will have to account for the loss of three seniors led by 7-foot-1 forward/center Alec Brown, but four of their top five scorers from the 2013-14 season will return led by guard Keifer Sykes. Sykes averaged 20.3 points, 4.8 assists and 4.4 rebounds per game as a junior, earning Horizon League Player of the Year honors.
Green Bay’s regular season title was their first league crown since 1995-96, and the Phoenix played in a postseason tournament for the second consecutive season. Green Bay participated in the CIT in 2013.
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)
- Sean Miller gives update on Arizona forward Brandon Ashley (1)