Apr 17, 2014, 7:17 PM EST
On the heels of a 24-win season in which Green Bay won the Horizon League regular season title and appeared in the Postseason NIT, head coach Brian Wardle has received a new five-year contract. The news was announced by the school Thursday afternoon, and in four seasons at the helm Wardle has a record of 70-56.
“A Horizon League Championship, a 24-win season, Player of the Year, Defensive Player of the Year and postseason play certainly elevated Phoenix men’s basketball this year, and I am thrilled Brian and his staff will continue to lead our men as we strive to get to the next level,” Green Bay AD Mary-Ellen Gillespie stated in the release.
The Phoenix will have to account for the loss of three seniors led by 7-foot-1 forward/center Alec Brown, but four of their top five scorers from the 2013-14 season will return led by guard Keifer Sykes. Sykes averaged 20.3 points, 4.8 assists and 4.4 rebounds per game as a junior, earning Horizon League Player of the Year honors.
Green Bay’s regular season title was their first league crown since 1995-96, and the Phoenix played in a postseason tournament for the second consecutive season. Green Bay participated in the CIT in 2013.
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 20
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- No. 13 Gonzaga makes definitive statement with blowout of No. 22 SMU 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (20)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)