Apr 17, 2014, 2:33 PM EDT
Jordan Adams will be returning to UCLA for his junior season, according to multiple reports on Thursday afternoon. He was projected as the No. 24 pick in the 2014 draft, according to Draft Express.
“I’ve had so much fun playing here at UCLA, and I’m really excited about the team we’re going to have next year,” Adams said in a statement. “Once the season ended, my family and I began carefully weighing all of my options. In the end, staying at UCLA for my junior year is a win-win situation. I’m glad that I went through the process, received constructive feedback and had time to reflect on what I truly want. I love being a Bruin. I’m looking forward to getting back in the gym and the weight room to get better, and I can’t wait for next season.”
Adams averaged 17.4 points, 5.3 boards and 2.6 steals as a sophomore for the Bruins, flying under the radar as one of the nation’s most underrated players. With Kyle Anderson and Zach Lavine both declaring for the the draft, getting Adams to return to school was vital for head coach Steve Alford, as Adams will head into next season shouldering the load of UCLA’s offense.
The Bruins should be one of Arizona’s biggest contenders next season, along with Oregon. Norman Powell, Tony Parker and Bryce Alford are all returning to UCLA as well, but the real key here is that the Bruins have a loaded freshman class coming in. In addition to five-star power forward Kevin Looney and four-star recruits Thomas Welsh (center) and Jonah Bolden (small forward), the Bruins will be getting Isaac Hamilton, a top 15 recruit from the Class of 2013, eligible next season.
With Adams returning to school and Jabari Parker heading to the NBA, the biggest names (listed here) that we’re still waiting to hear from are the Harrison twins, DeAndre Daniels and Mitch McGary.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)