Apr 17, 2014, 4:19 PM EDT
Rodney Hood will be entering the NBA Draft, according to a report from Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
This decision is not in the least bit surprising, as most have expected Hood to make this decision all along. After Duke’s loss to Mercer in the opening round of the NCAA tournament, Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski told reporters, in reference to Hood, “I wish we had him for more than one year.”
Hood averaged 16.3 points and 4.2 boards while shooting 40.8% from three on the season, which was actually his third year at the college level. He played at Mississippi State as a freshman, averaging 10.8 points, before transferring to Duke in the wake of Renardo Sidney’s tenure with the Bulldogs. Hood sat out the 2012-2013 season.
He is projected to be the No. 22 pick in the draft, according to Draft Express.
Duke will be just fine without Hood. They add a loaded recruiting class, headlined by Tyus Jones and Jahlil Okafor, and return guys like Rasheed Sulaimon, Amile Jefferson and Quinn Cook. They were No. 2 in our Way-Too-Early Preseason Top 25 with the assumption that Hood, and Jabari Parker, who declared for the draft today as well, were bound for the league.
- Sources: Rick Barnes not expected to return to Texas 2
- Steve Lavin and St. John’s ‘mutually agree’ to part ways 0
- No. 2 Arizona pulls away from No. 6 Xavier, setting up West regional final rematch 0
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 17
- Tradition of success through change raises expectations at Xavier 1
- Sweet 16 Preview: The top 16 players left in the tournament 11
- Sweet 16 Preview: The x-factor in each game this week 1
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (29)
- Updated tournament records: Kentucky moves SEC above .500 (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)