Apr 18, 2014, 3:46 PM EDT
With Steve Wojciechowski becoming the second assistant in as many years to move on to a head coaching position at another school (Chris Collins took over the Northwestern program last offseason), Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski announced how he would go about accounting for that change Friday. Jeff Capel, formerly an assistant on the Duke staff, has been promoted to associate head coach with Jon Scheyer moving from special assistant to assistant coach.
While Capel has plenty of experience as both an assistant and head coach at the Division I level, the 2014-15 season will be the first for Scheyer as an assistant. Prior to rejoining his alma mater, Scheyer played three seasons of professional basketball.
“It is such an honor to be back at Duke as an assistant coach,” Scheyer said in the release. “To think that I have not only had the opportunity to play here but also come back to be a coach and help the guys go through the same process I went through is an honor for me and I am excited. I am going to approach it the same way I did as a player and give it everything I have.
“The special assistant role I had last year really helped me learn everything from scouting to recruiting to on the court coaching and then really getting to know our guys. I feel so much more prepared to be an assistant coach after having that year as a special assistant here at Duke.”
Nate James, who has been a member of the Duke coaching staff since 2007, is the other assistant on Krzyzewski’s coaching staff.
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Missouri State’s Marcus Marshall works to strengthen knee, leadership abilities (2)