Apr 18, 2014, 3:46 PM EST
With Steve Wojciechowski becoming the second assistant in as many years to move on to a head coaching position at another school (Chris Collins took over the Northwestern program last offseason), Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski announced how he would go about accounting for that change Friday. Jeff Capel, formerly an assistant on the Duke staff, has been promoted to associate head coach with Jon Scheyer moving from special assistant to assistant coach.
While Capel has plenty of experience as both an assistant and head coach at the Division I level, the 2014-15 season will be the first for Scheyer as an assistant. Prior to rejoining his alma mater, Scheyer played three seasons of professional basketball.
“It is such an honor to be back at Duke as an assistant coach,” Scheyer said in the release. “To think that I have not only had the opportunity to play here but also come back to be a coach and help the guys go through the same process I went through is an honor for me and I am excited. I am going to approach it the same way I did as a player and give it everything I have.
“The special assistant role I had last year really helped me learn everything from scouting to recruiting to on the court coaching and then really getting to know our guys. I feel so much more prepared to be an assistant coach after having that year as a special assistant here at Duke.”
Nate James, who has been a member of the Duke coaching staff since 2007, is the other assistant on Krzyzewski’s coaching staff.
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 1
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 13
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? (3)