Apr 18, 2014, 3:46 PM EDT
With Steve Wojciechowski becoming the second assistant in as many years to move on to a head coaching position at another school (Chris Collins took over the Northwestern program last offseason), Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski announced how he would go about accounting for that change Friday. Jeff Capel, formerly an assistant on the Duke staff, has been promoted to associate head coach with Jon Scheyer moving from special assistant to assistant coach.
While Capel has plenty of experience as both an assistant and head coach at the Division I level, the 2014-15 season will be the first for Scheyer as an assistant. Prior to rejoining his alma mater, Scheyer played three seasons of professional basketball.
“It is such an honor to be back at Duke as an assistant coach,” Scheyer said in the release. “To think that I have not only had the opportunity to play here but also come back to be a coach and help the guys go through the same process I went through is an honor for me and I am excited. I am going to approach it the same way I did as a player and give it everything I have.
“The special assistant role I had last year really helped me learn everything from scouting to recruiting to on the court coaching and then really getting to know our guys. I feel so much more prepared to be an assistant coach after having that year as a special assistant here at Duke.”
Nate James, who has been a member of the Duke coaching staff since 2007, is the other assistant on Krzyzewski’s coaching staff.
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 3
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)