Apr 18, 2014, 12:48 PM EDT
Thursday night at the Breslin Center on the Michigan State campus, family and friends gathered to celebrate the life of 8-year old Lacey Holsworth. Holsworth, whose fighting spirit was a source of inspiration for many, lost her lengthy bout with cancer on April 8.
Among those inspired by Holsworth was former Michigan State forward Adreian Payne, whom she referred to as her “Superman.” As part of Thursday’s ceremony Payne performed a “silent dunk” with his teammates looking on from underneath the basket. Joe Rexrode of the Detroit Free Press wrote a story about the night, which included a video tribute from Holsworth’s mother, Heather.
Then it was time for Heather’s taped tribute. She said her “heart is screaming” as she mourns her daughter, who she called “a tomboy with a tutu.”
“There’s not enough pages in a book to do her justice,” Heather said, and she told of her daughter’s determination to beat her brothers in a race when she was 5 years old.
“The crazy thing?” Heather said. “She did it all in a skirt. And that’s what Lacey was. A mixture of grace and grit.”
Above is a video put together in Lacey’s honor by the Michigan State athletic department.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)