Apr 18, 2014, 12:48 PM EDT
Thursday night at the Breslin Center on the Michigan State campus, family and friends gathered to celebrate the life of 8-year old Lacey Holsworth. Holsworth, whose fighting spirit was a source of inspiration for many, lost her lengthy bout with cancer on April 8.
Among those inspired by Holsworth was former Michigan State forward Adreian Payne, whom she referred to as her “Superman.” As part of Thursday’s ceremony Payne performed a “silent dunk” with his teammates looking on from underneath the basket. Joe Rexrode of the Detroit Free Press wrote a story about the night, which included a video tribute from Holsworth’s mother, Heather.
Then it was time for Heather’s taped tribute. She said her “heart is screaming” as she mourns her daughter, who she called “a tomboy with a tutu.”
“There’s not enough pages in a book to do her justice,” Heather said, and she told of her daughter’s determination to beat her brothers in a race when she was 5 years old.
“The crazy thing?” Heather said. “She did it all in a skirt. And that’s what Lacey was. A mixture of grace and grit.”
Above is a video put together in Lacey’s honor by the Michigan State athletic department.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)