Apr 18, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
In three seasons as the head coach at Georgia State, Ron Hunter has put together a record of 62 wins and 37 losses with the 2013-14 edition winning 25 games and winning the Sun Belt regular season title. As a result of that run the school has rewarded Hunter with a contract extension through the 2019-20 season, with the news being announced Friday.
Hunter’s annual salary will be bumped up to $425,000 per year, with a clause calling for that figure to be increased to $500,000 should he lead the Panthers to the NCAA tournament. As for a possible buyout, that figure is now $650,000 should the coach want to move on to another job before his contract expires.
“We are excited to be here, we are excited to bring championships to Georgia State and we are excited to bring postseason opportunities to this great university and its incredible students, alumni and fans,” Hunter said in the release. “I especially want to say thank you to all of those who made this possible, including my great coaching staff – which I feel is the best in the country – and of course to my players.”
Georgia State finished 17-1 in Sun Belt play, losing to Louisiana in the conference tournament title game in overtime. Georgia State fell at Clemson in the first round of the Postseason NIT, the program’s second postseason tournament appearance in Hunter’s three seasons at the school.
Georgia State loses four seniors from the 2013-14 team, led by guard Devonta White (11.6 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 4.3 apg) and forward Manny Atkins (14.4, 6.1). But guards R.J. Hunter (18.3, 4.6) and Ryan Harrow (17.8, 2.6, 4.2), the latter of whom enjoyed a highly productive season after transferring in from Kentucky, return as does rising senior forward Curtis Washington (7.5, 5.9).
Georgia State also landed Louisville transfer Kevin Ware, but it remains to be seen if the NCAA would grant him immediate eligibility.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)