Apr 18, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
In three seasons as the head coach at Georgia State, Ron Hunter has put together a record of 62 wins and 37 losses with the 2013-14 edition winning 25 games and winning the Sun Belt regular season title. As a result of that run the school has rewarded Hunter with a contract extension through the 2019-20 season, with the news being announced Friday.
Hunter’s annual salary will be bumped up to $425,000 per year, with a clause calling for that figure to be increased to $500,000 should he lead the Panthers to the NCAA tournament. As for a possible buyout, that figure is now $650,000 should the coach want to move on to another job before his contract expires.
“We are excited to be here, we are excited to bring championships to Georgia State and we are excited to bring postseason opportunities to this great university and its incredible students, alumni and fans,” Hunter said in the release. “I especially want to say thank you to all of those who made this possible, including my great coaching staff – which I feel is the best in the country – and of course to my players.”
Georgia State finished 17-1 in Sun Belt play, losing to Louisiana in the conference tournament title game in overtime. Georgia State fell at Clemson in the first round of the Postseason NIT, the program’s second postseason tournament appearance in Hunter’s three seasons at the school.
Georgia State loses four seniors from the 2013-14 team, led by guard Devonta White (11.6 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 4.3 apg) and forward Manny Atkins (14.4, 6.1). But guards R.J. Hunter (18.3, 4.6) and Ryan Harrow (17.8, 2.6, 4.2), the latter of whom enjoyed a highly productive season after transferring in from Kentucky, return as does rising senior forward Curtis Washington (7.5, 5.9).
Georgia State also landed Louisville transfer Kevin Ware, but it remains to be seen if the NCAA would grant him immediate eligibility.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)