Apr 18, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
Miami lost a key frontcourt contributor on Friday as forward James Kelly intends to transfer, the school announced in a release.
The 6-foot-7 junior forward averaged six points and 3.7 rebounds in 27 games for the Hurricanes this season, his only season in Miami, after transferring from Owens Community College. Kelly saw his playing time dwindle as ACC play went along and the forward was also suspended for three games late in the season.
“I have made the difficult decision to transfer from the University of Miami,” said Kelly. “I believe it is in the best interest of my family that I continue my education and basketball career closer to them. I would like to thank Coach L for the opportunity he gave me and all of his support during this year.”
Losing Kelly will hurt Miami’s frontcourt depth next season as they’ll rely heavily on sophomore center Tonye Jekiri, junior college big man Ivan Cruz Uceda, and incoming freshman forward Omar Sherman.
Miami could also look to add a graduate transfer that can immediately contribute in the frontcourt.
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 0
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)