Apr 18, 2014, 6:59 PM EST
Miami lost a key frontcourt contributor on Friday as forward James Kelly intends to transfer, the school announced in a release.
The 6-foot-7 junior forward averaged six points and 3.7 rebounds in 27 games for the Hurricanes this season, his only season in Miami, after transferring from Owens Community College. Kelly saw his playing time dwindle as ACC play went along and the forward was also suspended for three games late in the season.
“I have made the difficult decision to transfer from the University of Miami,” said Kelly. “I believe it is in the best interest of my family that I continue my education and basketball career closer to them. I would like to thank Coach L for the opportunity he gave me and all of his support during this year.”
Losing Kelly will hurt Miami’s frontcourt depth next season as they’ll rely heavily on sophomore center Tonye Jekiri, junior college big man Ivan Cruz Uceda, and incoming freshman forward Omar Sherman.
Miami could also look to add a graduate transfer that can immediately contribute in the frontcourt.
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 31
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)