Apr 18, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
Miami lost a key frontcourt contributor on Friday as forward James Kelly intends to transfer, the school announced in a release.
The 6-foot-7 junior forward averaged six points and 3.7 rebounds in 27 games for the Hurricanes this season, his only season in Miami, after transferring from Owens Community College. Kelly saw his playing time dwindle as ACC play went along and the forward was also suspended for three games late in the season.
“I have made the difficult decision to transfer from the University of Miami,” said Kelly. “I believe it is in the best interest of my family that I continue my education and basketball career closer to them. I would like to thank Coach L for the opportunity he gave me and all of his support during this year.”
Losing Kelly will hurt Miami’s frontcourt depth next season as they’ll rely heavily on sophomore center Tonye Jekiri, junior college big man Ivan Cruz Uceda, and incoming freshman forward Omar Sherman.
Miami could also look to add a graduate transfer that can immediately contribute in the frontcourt.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)