Apr 18, 2014, 6:59 PM EST
Miami lost a key frontcourt contributor on Friday as forward James Kelly intends to transfer, the school announced in a release.
The 6-foot-7 junior forward averaged six points and 3.7 rebounds in 27 games for the Hurricanes this season, his only season in Miami, after transferring from Owens Community College. Kelly saw his playing time dwindle as ACC play went along and the forward was also suspended for three games late in the season.
“I have made the difficult decision to transfer from the University of Miami,” said Kelly. “I believe it is in the best interest of my family that I continue my education and basketball career closer to them. I would like to thank Coach L for the opportunity he gave me and all of his support during this year.”
Losing Kelly will hurt Miami’s frontcourt depth next season as they’ll rely heavily on sophomore center Tonye Jekiri, junior college big man Ivan Cruz Uceda, and incoming freshman forward Omar Sherman.
Miami could also look to add a graduate transfer that can immediately contribute in the frontcourt.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)