Apr 18, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
With Jahii Carson turning pro and both Jordan Bachynski and Jermaine Marshall out of eligibility, Arizona State will be a much different team in 2014-15. But head coach Herb Sendek received some good news Friday, as it was announced by the program that senior guard Shaquielle McKissic was granted an extra season of eligibility by the NCAA.
As a result of that news McKissic becomes Sendek’s most productive returnee, as he averaged 9.0 points, 5.4 rebounds and 2.6 assists per game in his first season as a Sun Devil. Joining McKissic as returnees from the rotation that led Arizona State to its first NCAA tournament appearance since 2009 are guard Bo Barnes and forward Jonathan Gilling.
McKissic was originally ruled to be a senior by the NCAA as a result of his eligibility “clock” starting in 2009, but Friday’s ruling is a step in the right direction for a young man who has certainly taken “the road less traveled” to Division I college basketball.
Arizona State adds five newcomers this offseason (there may be a couple more), including junior college guard Gerry Blakes and freshman power forward Connor MacDougall.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)