Apr 18, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
With Jahii Carson turning pro and both Jordan Bachynski and Jermaine Marshall out of eligibility, Arizona State will be a much different team in 2014-15. But head coach Herb Sendek received some good news Friday, as it was announced by the program that senior guard Shaquielle McKissic was granted an extra season of eligibility by the NCAA.
As a result of that news McKissic becomes Sendek’s most productive returnee, as he averaged 9.0 points, 5.4 rebounds and 2.6 assists per game in his first season as a Sun Devil. Joining McKissic as returnees from the rotation that led Arizona State to its first NCAA tournament appearance since 2009 are guard Bo Barnes and forward Jonathan Gilling.
McKissic was originally ruled to be a senior by the NCAA as a result of his eligibility “clock” starting in 2009, but Friday’s ruling is a step in the right direction for a young man who has certainly taken “the road less traveled” to Division I college basketball.
Arizona State adds five newcomers this offseason (there may be a couple more), including junior college guard Gerry Blakes and freshman power forward Connor MacDougall.
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)