Apr 18, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
After a season which saw a 10-win increase from the previous season, Northern Illinois opted to extend the contract of head coach Mark Montgomery through the 2017-18 season, according to a release from the school.
Montgomery is 25-68 in three seasons at the helm at Northern Illinois, but the 2013-14 season saw a tremendous improvement as the Huskies went 15-17 and improved by 10 wins over Montgomery’s previous high mark for win total. Montgomery also led the Huskies to their most non-conference wins (six) since 1999-2000 and most home wins (10) since 1994-95.
“I’m excited about the direction of our men’s basketball program under Mark and his staff,” Northern Illinois Athletic Director Sean Frazier said in the release. “He has changed the culture of the program and that’s not easy to do. I feel confident that under his direction, and with the support of our fans and community, we’ll continue to take this program where we want it to be, which is to the top of the MAC and beyond.”
With only two seniors on the roster during the 2013-14 season, Northern Illinois will look to build on last season’s success and make a run at a postseason appearance.
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- CBT Quotables Part IV: The Lawsons, Stephen Zimmerman, Malik Monk 1
- Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Rabb, Zimmerman go big, Chris Clarke goes hard, Lawson bros advance 0
- Nike Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Jayson Tatum, DeAndre Ayton and Briscoe vs. Trier 0
- Peach Jam Recruiting Notebook: Jamal Murray plays well, Tyler Davis has big day, Juwan Morgan likes two 0
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)