Apr 18, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
After a season which saw a 10-win increase from the previous season, Northern Illinois opted to extend the contract of head coach Mark Montgomery through the 2017-18 season, according to a release from the school.
Montgomery is 25-68 in three seasons at the helm at Northern Illinois, but the 2013-14 season saw a tremendous improvement as the Huskies went 15-17 and improved by 10 wins over Montgomery’s previous high mark for win total. Montgomery also led the Huskies to their most non-conference wins (six) since 1999-2000 and most home wins (10) since 1994-95.
“I’m excited about the direction of our men’s basketball program under Mark and his staff,” Northern Illinois Athletic Director Sean Frazier said in the release. “He has changed the culture of the program and that’s not easy to do. I feel confident that under his direction, and with the support of our fans and community, we’ll continue to take this program where we want it to be, which is to the top of the MAC and beyond.”
With only two seniors on the roster during the 2013-14 season, Northern Illinois will look to build on last season’s success and make a run at a postseason appearance.
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 1
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)