Apr 18, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
Ole Miss picked up one of the most sought-after graduate transfers on the market Friday afternoon when former Tennessee State power forward M.J. Rhett signed with the Rebels. Ole Miss announced the signing of Rhett in an official release.
A 6-foot-9 redshirt junior, Rhett will be immediately eligible for Ole Miss and will have one season of eligibility left after averaging 10.9 points and 9.1 rebounds per game last season for the Tigers. Rhett shot 54 percent from the field and 72 percent from the line and was eighth in the country with 14 double-doubles on the season.
“We are excited to add M.J. to our team for next season,” Ole Miss head coach Andy Kennedy said in the release. “He is the second post graduate student-athlete we have added and he, too, brings a history of production at the D-1 level, having excelled in the OVC over the last three seasons. He is a long, athletic forward who has controlled the glass and scored in a variety of ways while at Tennessee State. We expect him to make an immediate impact along our front line.”
Rhett will be one of seven new pieces on the Rebels roster next season as the graduate transfer joins junior college guard Roderick Lawrence and Tennessee-Martin graduate transfer shooting guard Terence Smith, who both signed with Ole Miss on Wednesday. Guard J.T. Escobar, forward Marcanvis Hymon, junior college point guard Stefan Moody and center Rauno Nurger all signed with the Rebels last fall.
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 7
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (7)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)