Apr 19, 2014, 7:36 PM EDT
One week after making an official visit to UNLV, 2014 shooting guard Patrick McCaw verbally committed to attend the Mountain West school according to Evan Daniels of Scout.com.
McCaw, a native of St. Louis, attended Montrose Christian Academy in Rockville, Md. for his senior year of high school. McCaw averaged 10.9 points per game for Montrose Christian, scoring a season-high 24 in a 91-62 win over A.D. Fontes on March 1. McCaw’s a good perimeter shooter, and that skill could be helpful for a team that ranked tenth in the Mountain West in three-point percentage (32.9%) in 2013-14.
McCaw becomes the sixth addition to the UNLV program this offseason, with its incoming freshman class ranking among the best in the country. McCaw joins a group of freshmen that includes guard Rashad Vaughn, forward Dwayne Morgan and center Goodluck Okonoboh. And head coach Dave Rice also has two transfers joining the program in point guard Cody Doolin (San Francisco) and forward Ben Carter (Oregon).
While Carter will have the sit out the 2014-15 season per NCAA transfer rules, the hope in Las Vegas is that Doolin is granted an immediate eligibility waiver. Point guard play was arguably the most glaring issue for UNLV last season, and the feeling is that the addition of Doolin will properly address that.
The one remaining question for UNLV is the status of junior Khem Birch, who is still going through the process of deciding whether or not to enter the 2014 NBA Draft. The reigning Mountain West Defensive Player of the Year, Birch has until April 27 (NBA deadline) to enter his name into the draft pool.
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- USA Basketball U17 team wins gold in the FIBA World Championships 0
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ 4
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Watch Stephen Curry put 40 on Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament (VIDEO) (3)
- Five-star power forward Elijah Thomas sets five official visits (3)