Apr 19, 2014, 7:36 PM EDT
One week after making an official visit to UNLV, 2014 shooting guard Patrick McCaw verbally committed to attend the Mountain West school according to Evan Daniels of Scout.com.
McCaw, a native of St. Louis, attended Montrose Christian Academy in Rockville, Md. for his senior year of high school. McCaw averaged 10.9 points per game for Montrose Christian, scoring a season-high 24 in a 91-62 win over A.D. Fontes on March 1. McCaw’s a good perimeter shooter, and that skill could be helpful for a team that ranked tenth in the Mountain West in three-point percentage (32.9%) in 2013-14.
McCaw becomes the sixth addition to the UNLV program this offseason, with its incoming freshman class ranking among the best in the country. McCaw joins a group of freshmen that includes guard Rashad Vaughn, forward Dwayne Morgan and center Goodluck Okonoboh. And head coach Dave Rice also has two transfers joining the program in point guard Cody Doolin (San Francisco) and forward Ben Carter (Oregon).
While Carter will have the sit out the 2014-15 season per NCAA transfer rules, the hope in Las Vegas is that Doolin is granted an immediate eligibility waiver. Point guard play was arguably the most glaring issue for UNLV last season, and the feeling is that the addition of Doolin will properly address that.
The one remaining question for UNLV is the status of junior Khem Birch, who is still going through the process of deciding whether or not to enter the 2014 NBA Draft. The reigning Mountain West Defensive Player of the Year, Birch has until April 27 (NBA deadline) to enter his name into the draft pool.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)