Apr 19, 2014, 7:36 PM EDT
One week after making an official visit to UNLV, 2014 shooting guard Patrick McCaw verbally committed to attend the Mountain West school according to Evan Daniels of Scout.com.
McCaw, a native of St. Louis, attended Montrose Christian Academy in Rockville, Md. for his senior year of high school. McCaw averaged 10.9 points per game for Montrose Christian, scoring a season-high 24 in a 91-62 win over A.D. Fontes on March 1. McCaw’s a good perimeter shooter, and that skill could be helpful for a team that ranked tenth in the Mountain West in three-point percentage (32.9%) in 2013-14.
McCaw becomes the sixth addition to the UNLV program this offseason, with its incoming freshman class ranking among the best in the country. McCaw joins a group of freshmen that includes guard Rashad Vaughn, forward Dwayne Morgan and center Goodluck Okonoboh. And head coach Dave Rice also has two transfers joining the program in point guard Cody Doolin (San Francisco) and forward Ben Carter (Oregon).
While Carter will have the sit out the 2014-15 season per NCAA transfer rules, the hope in Las Vegas is that Doolin is granted an immediate eligibility waiver. Point guard play was arguably the most glaring issue for UNLV last season, and the feeling is that the addition of Doolin will properly address that.
The one remaining question for UNLV is the status of junior Khem Birch, who is still going through the process of deciding whether or not to enter the 2014 NBA Draft. The reigning Mountain West Defensive Player of the Year, Birch has until April 27 (NBA deadline) to enter his name into the draft pool.
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)
- Blue Ribbon releases their Preseason First Team All-Americans (1)