Apr 19, 2014, 7:36 PM EDT
One week after making an official visit to UNLV, 2014 shooting guard Patrick McCaw verbally committed to attend the Mountain West school according to Evan Daniels of Scout.com.
McCaw, a native of St. Louis, attended Montrose Christian Academy in Rockville, Md. for his senior year of high school. McCaw averaged 10.9 points per game for Montrose Christian, scoring a season-high 24 in a 91-62 win over A.D. Fontes on March 1. McCaw’s a good perimeter shooter, and that skill could be helpful for a team that ranked tenth in the Mountain West in three-point percentage (32.9%) in 2013-14.
McCaw becomes the sixth addition to the UNLV program this offseason, with its incoming freshman class ranking among the best in the country. McCaw joins a group of freshmen that includes guard Rashad Vaughn, forward Dwayne Morgan and center Goodluck Okonoboh. And head coach Dave Rice also has two transfers joining the program in point guard Cody Doolin (San Francisco) and forward Ben Carter (Oregon).
While Carter will have the sit out the 2014-15 season per NCAA transfer rules, the hope in Las Vegas is that Doolin is granted an immediate eligibility waiver. Point guard play was arguably the most glaring issue for UNLV last season, and the feeling is that the addition of Doolin will properly address that.
The one remaining question for UNLV is the status of junior Khem Birch, who is still going through the process of deciding whether or not to enter the 2014 NBA Draft. The reigning Mountain West Defensive Player of the Year, Birch has until April 27 (NBA deadline) to enter his name into the draft pool.
- Alabama’s treatment of former player Daisha Simmons is shameful 0
- Throwback Thursday: Illinois and Arizona spar in a phenomenal 2005 Elite 8 game 0
- Oklahoma State lands commitment from elite point guard in 2015 1
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- NCAA twitter account effortlessly trolls MLB during playoff opener (2)
- Frank Haith lands first commitment as head coach at Tulsa (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)