Apr 19, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
After putting together a record of 32-64 in three seasons as the head coach at his alma mater, Florida A&M head coach Clemon Johnson has been relieved of his duties according to a release sent out by the school Friday afternoon. According to the Tallahassee Democrat, the decision comes shortly after the school hired both a new president and a new athletic director, with Kellen Winslow Sr. taking over as AD.
“We thank Coach Johnson and his staff for their efforts over the past three years to improve our men’s basketball program,” Winslow said in the release. “However, we have decided to seek new leadership of this program in order to achieve our academic and athletic goals.”
According to the release the entire coaching staff was released from its contracts Friday.
The Rattlers’ 14-18 record in 2013-14 represented the best mark put forth by the program in Johnson’s three years at the helm. Florida A&M finished 8-8 in MEAC play, losing to Morgan State in the quarterfinals of the conference tournament. The Rattlers lose six scholarship seniors from that team, including guards Jamie Adams (17.2 ppg, 3.7 apg) and Reggie Lewis (12.7 ppg).
- Gregg Marshall to remain at Wichita State, won’t visit Alabama 1
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 5
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)