Apr 19, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
After putting together a record of 32-64 in three seasons as the head coach at his alma mater, Florida A&M head coach Clemon Johnson has been relieved of his duties according to a release sent out by the school Friday afternoon. According to the Tallahassee Democrat, the decision comes shortly after the school hired both a new president and a new athletic director, with Kellen Winslow Sr. taking over as AD.
“We thank Coach Johnson and his staff for their efforts over the past three years to improve our men’s basketball program,” Winslow said in the release. “However, we have decided to seek new leadership of this program in order to achieve our academic and athletic goals.”
According to the release the entire coaching staff was released from its contracts Friday.
The Rattlers’ 14-18 record in 2013-14 represented the best mark put forth by the program in Johnson’s three years at the helm. Florida A&M finished 8-8 in MEAC play, losing to Morgan State in the quarterfinals of the conference tournament. The Rattlers lose six scholarship seniors from that team, including guards Jamie Adams (17.2 ppg, 3.7 apg) and Reggie Lewis (12.7 ppg).
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 31
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)