Apr 19, 2014, 9:17 PM EDT
During Kentucky’s run to the national title game Tyler Black received attention for a tattoo he had applied to his leg back on March 13 in anticipation of the Wildcats winning their ninth national title. Of course Kentucky fell short of that accomplishment, losing to UConn in the title game, but the artwork was a step that few fans would take to show loyalty to their favorite team.
And the “bar” Black set with his tattoo may have been scaled by another Kentucky fan, who promised that he’d get a tattoo of Willie Cauley-Stein if the 7-footer decided to return to Lexington for another season.
Of course Cauley-Stein, who missed the final three games of the season with an ankle injury, will be back for his junior campaign despite being a projected lottery pick by some draft experts. And Michael Gray proved to be a man of his word, getting the tattoo Saturday and tweeting out a picture of the finished product.
Regardless of what anyone thinks of the tattoo (and there will be negative comments) that’s quite the show of loyalty by Gray. Just wish the tattoo also included the shirt Cauley-Stein wore under his jersey during the national title game.
And at least he didn’t do something along these lines.
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 0
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)
- Time lapse of Iowa State’s refurbished court (VIDEO) (1)