Apr 19, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
If you follow college basketball or college basketball recruiting you might have heard the name Tonny Trocha-Morelos.
A native of Colombia, the 6-foot-10 Trocha-Morelos averaged 16 points and 10.2 rebounds per game for the Colombian U18 Team at the FIBA Americas competition in Brazil in 2012. Soon after, programs from across the country came calling and Trocha-Morelos ended up committing to Texas A&M.
But after signing a letter of intent to play with the Aggies on November 29th, 2012, Trocha-Morelos has never seen the floor for Texas A&M as he’s awaited the chance to finally be admitted to the SEC program.
Brent Zwerneman of My San Antonio has more on Trocha-Morelos’ fight to get cleared to play:
Trocha-Morelos, who attended St. Thomas Episcopal in Houston, originally inked with the Aggies in November 2012, but sat out this past year while fighting through apparent red-tape issues in terms of earning final entrance into A&M (his primary language is Spanish).
Now, it appears Trocha-Morelos has finally been cleared to play for Texas A&M as the Aggies and head coach Billy Kennedy re-announced that the Colombian forward was joining the program in a school release on Friday.
“I am excited to officially get Tonny into our program and have him start working out with the guys this summer,” Kennedy said in the release. “He will have an immediate impact to our program. He is a skilled big man who affects the game on both ends of the floor.”
If Trocha-Morelos is (finally) joining the Aggies, he gives them a player that can rebound from day one while also providing athleticism on the interior for Texas A&M.
Billy Kennedy has brought in a guard-heavy class with point guards Alex Robinson and Avery Johnson Jr. — both Texas natives — and Illinois native and shooting guard Peyton Allen, so to add Trocha-Morelos at this point is a big deal for Texas A&M.
It’s been a long road to this point for Trocha-Morelos, but hopefully college basketball fans will see the promising Colombian big man play during the 2014-15 season.
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 2
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Missouri State’s Marcus Marshall works to strengthen knee, leadership abilities (2)
- Report: 2015 phenom Ben Simmons fully committed to attending LSU (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)