Apr 20, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
Days after losing its two top scorers to transfers, Houston scored a commitment from a former top 100 recruit on Sunday morning.
Torian Graham, a 6-foot-4 shooting guard from the Class of 2012 who spent the past two seasons at Chipola Junior College (Fla.), announced via Twitter that he had signed with Houston.
Graham had twice committed and decommitted from NC State. After not being cleared by the NCAA in October of 2012, he enrolled at Chipola. He averaged 12.9 points per game, only appearing in 15 games this past season. He played on a team with future UConn guard Sam Cassell Jr. and power forward Cinmeon Bowers, who commited to Auburn last Sunday.
Houston hired Kelvin Sampson as the program’s new head coach on April 2. Within weeks, TaShawn Thomas and Danuel House, who led the Cougars in both scoring and rebounding, requested releases from their scholarships. While adding a shooting guard won’t help the lost production on the frontline, it does give Houston a gifted scorer and a second member of its incoming class along with Yates High (Texas) forward J.C. Washington.
Graham was rated as the No. 67 recruit in the Class of 2012 by Rivals.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)