Apr 20, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
Saturday night the 62nd edition of the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament came to an end in Portsmouth, Va., with the event showcasing college seniors looking to improve their standing in the eyes of scouts from the NBA and other professional leagues. The title game matched Sales Systems, Ltd. and Norfolk Sports Club, with former Georgetown point guard Markel Starks winning the game for Sales Systems with a shot with two seconds remaining.
Starks finished the game with 19 points and five assists, and he was one of two Sales Systems, Ltd. players to make the event’s All-Tournament Team. The other was former Marquette center Davante Gardner, who accounted for 20 points and nine rebounds in the title game and won tournament MVP honors.
The other players on the All-Tournament Team were:
- F Javon McCrea (Buffalo; Norfolk Sports Club)
- G/F Drew Crawford (Northwestern; Norfolk Sports Club)
- F Ronald Roberts Jr. (Saint Joseph’s; Norfolk Sports Club)
- C Shayne Whittington (Western Michigan; Portsmouth Partnership)
- G Jake Odum (Indiana State; Portsmouth Partnership)
- F Shawn Jones (Middle Tennessee; Roger Brown’s Restaurant)
- G Andre Dawkins (Duke; Cherry Bekaert)
- F/C Garrick Sherman (Notre Dame; Portsmouth Sports Club)
- G Travis Bader (Oakland; K&D Round’s Landscaping)
- F Jamil Wilson (Marquette; Mike Duman Auto Sales)
With Gardner and Wilson on the above list, Marquette was the only program to see two products make this year’s All-Tournament team. In the above video are a few highlights from WAVY-TV in Hampton Roads, Va., but unfortunately video of Starks’ game-winner did not make the segment.
- Five-star 2015 forward cuts his list to five schools 0
- Top talent in 2016 announces a top ten 2
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0