Apr 20, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
Just over a week after he was released from his scholarship by Marshall after winning an appeal, point guard Kareem Canty had reportedly found a new school.
According to Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com the Harlem, N.Y. native decided Saturday night to transfer to Auburn. However, Sunday morning it was reported by Adam Zagoria that Canty has not committed and would be visiting USF May 2-4 before making a final decision.
Canty, who had to sit out the 2012-13 season as a partial qualifier, averaged 16.3 points and 5.5 assists per game for the Thundering Herd and was named to Conference USA’s All-Freshman Team. Canty was also a third team All-Conference USA selection.
Point guard is a position of need for Auburn, with rising senior Malcolm Canada and rising sophomore Tahj Shamsid-Deen being the current options (on scholarship) at the position at present time. Landing Canty would be an important boost for the Tigers, but the same can be said for USF.
Anthony Collins missed a significant portion of the 2013-14 season due to injury, and the player who took over the job in his absence (Josh Heath) has transferred to Georgia Tech in the weeks after his father Stan was relieved of his duties as head coach. Both Collins and Corey Allen Jr. will be seniors next season, with Drew Davis being the lone signee at the position for new head coach Oliver Antigua.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)