Apr 20, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Just over a week after he was released from his scholarship by Marshall after winning an appeal, point guard Kareem Canty had reportedly found a new school.
According to Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com the Harlem, N.Y. native decided Saturday night to transfer to Auburn. However, Sunday morning it was reported by Adam Zagoria that Canty has not committed and would be visiting USF May 2-4 before making a final decision.
Canty, who had to sit out the 2012-13 season as a partial qualifier, averaged 16.3 points and 5.5 assists per game for the Thundering Herd and was named to Conference USA’s All-Freshman Team. Canty was also a third team All-Conference USA selection.
Point guard is a position of need for Auburn, with rising senior Malcolm Canada and rising sophomore Tahj Shamsid-Deen being the current options (on scholarship) at the position at present time. Landing Canty would be an important boost for the Tigers, but the same can be said for USF.
Anthony Collins missed a significant portion of the 2013-14 season due to injury, and the player who took over the job in his absence (Josh Heath) has transferred to Georgia Tech in the weeks after his father Stan was relieved of his duties as head coach. Both Collins and Corey Allen Jr. will be seniors next season, with Drew Davis being the lone signee at the position for new head coach Oliver Antigua.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)