Apr 20, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Just over a week after he was released from his scholarship by Marshall after winning an appeal, point guard Kareem Canty had reportedly found a new school.
According to Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com the Harlem, N.Y. native decided Saturday night to transfer to Auburn. However, Sunday morning it was reported by Adam Zagoria that Canty has not committed and would be visiting USF May 2-4 before making a final decision.
Canty, who had to sit out the 2012-13 season as a partial qualifier, averaged 16.3 points and 5.5 assists per game for the Thundering Herd and was named to Conference USA’s All-Freshman Team. Canty was also a third team All-Conference USA selection.
Point guard is a position of need for Auburn, with rising senior Malcolm Canada and rising sophomore Tahj Shamsid-Deen being the current options (on scholarship) at the position at present time. Landing Canty would be an important boost for the Tigers, but the same can be said for USF.
Anthony Collins missed a significant portion of the 2013-14 season due to injury, and the player who took over the job in his absence (Josh Heath) has transferred to Georgia Tech in the weeks after his father Stan was relieved of his duties as head coach. Both Collins and Corey Allen Jr. will be seniors next season, with Drew Davis being the lone signee at the position for new head coach Oliver Antigua.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)