Apr 20, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Just over a week after he was released from his scholarship by Marshall after winning an appeal, point guard Kareem Canty had reportedly found a new school.
According to Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com the Harlem, N.Y. native decided Saturday night to transfer to Auburn. However, Sunday morning it was reported by Adam Zagoria that Canty has not committed and would be visiting USF May 2-4 before making a final decision.
Canty, who had to sit out the 2012-13 season as a partial qualifier, averaged 16.3 points and 5.5 assists per game for the Thundering Herd and was named to Conference USA’s All-Freshman Team. Canty was also a third team All-Conference USA selection.
Point guard is a position of need for Auburn, with rising senior Malcolm Canada and rising sophomore Tahj Shamsid-Deen being the current options (on scholarship) at the position at present time. Landing Canty would be an important boost for the Tigers, but the same can be said for USF.
Anthony Collins missed a significant portion of the 2013-14 season due to injury, and the player who took over the job in his absence (Josh Heath) has transferred to Georgia Tech in the weeks after his father Stan was relieved of his duties as head coach. Both Collins and Corey Allen Jr. will be seniors next season, with Drew Davis being the lone signee at the position for new head coach Oliver Antigua.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)