Apr 20, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
Just over a week after he was released from his scholarship by Marshall after winning an appeal, point guard Kareem Canty had reportedly found a new school.
According to Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com the Harlem, N.Y. native decided Saturday night to transfer to Auburn. However, Sunday morning it was reported by Adam Zagoria that Canty has not committed and would be visiting USF May 2-4 before making a final decision.
Canty, who had to sit out the 2012-13 season as a partial qualifier, averaged 16.3 points and 5.5 assists per game for the Thundering Herd and was named to Conference USA’s All-Freshman Team. Canty was also a third team All-Conference USA selection.
Point guard is a position of need for Auburn, with rising senior Malcolm Canada and rising sophomore Tahj Shamsid-Deen being the current options (on scholarship) at the position at present time. Landing Canty would be an important boost for the Tigers, but the same can be said for USF.
Anthony Collins missed a significant portion of the 2013-14 season due to injury, and the player who took over the job in his absence (Josh Heath) has transferred to Georgia Tech in the weeks after his father Stan was relieved of his duties as head coach. Both Collins and Corey Allen Jr. will be seniors next season, with Drew Davis being the lone signee at the position for new head coach Oliver Antigua.
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 0
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 0
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)