Apr 21, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
Fresh off of dual-ACC titles, the Virginia Cavaliers have locked themselves in a home-and-home series with George Washington, who is coming off of their own trip to the NCAA tournament.
The first game of the series is going to be held at John Paul Jones Arena in 2014, with the Colonials getting a return game the following season.
“Our goal is to play a schedule that is challenging and puts us in a position for a berth to the NCAA Tournament every season,” said GW head coach Mike Lonergan. “It’s going to be an exciting regional rivalry for our players, students, alumni and fans.”
Hopefully, this can grow into a quality rivalry in an area that desperately needs quality rivalries. Maryland and Georgetown still refuse to play over a silly beef between John Thompson Jr. and Lefty Driesell. The Hoyas no longer play Syracuse in the Big East while Maryland is headed to the Big Ten next season.
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 2
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 2
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight 6
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Born without a right hand, Omar Ndiaye looking for his chance 0
- Illinois starting point guard suffers season-ending knee injury 1
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Report: Providence legend Marvin ‘Bad News’ Barnes passes away (2)
- Villanova lands commitment from five-star point guard Jalen Brunson (2)