Apr 21, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
Fresh off of dual-ACC titles, the Virginia Cavaliers have locked themselves in a home-and-home series with George Washington, who is coming off of their own trip to the NCAA tournament.
The first game of the series is going to be held at John Paul Jones Arena in 2014, with the Colonials getting a return game the following season.
“Our goal is to play a schedule that is challenging and puts us in a position for a berth to the NCAA Tournament every season,” said GW head coach Mike Lonergan. “It’s going to be an exciting regional rivalry for our players, students, alumni and fans.”
Hopefully, this can grow into a quality rivalry in an area that desperately needs quality rivalries. Maryland and Georgetown still refuse to play over a silly beef between John Thompson Jr. and Lefty Driesell. The Hoyas no longer play Syracuse in the Big East while Maryland is headed to the Big Ten next season.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)