Apr 21, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
Fresh off of dual-ACC titles, the Virginia Cavaliers have locked themselves in a home-and-home series with George Washington, who is coming off of their own trip to the NCAA tournament.
The first game of the series is going to be held at John Paul Jones Arena in 2014, with the Colonials getting a return game the following season.
“Our goal is to play a schedule that is challenging and puts us in a position for a berth to the NCAA Tournament every season,” said GW head coach Mike Lonergan. “It’s going to be an exciting regional rivalry for our players, students, alumni and fans.”
Hopefully, this can grow into a quality rivalry in an area that desperately needs quality rivalries. Maryland and Georgetown still refuse to play over a silly beef between John Thompson Jr. and Lefty Driesell. The Hoyas no longer play Syracuse in the Big East while Maryland is headed to the Big Ten next season.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)