Apr 21, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
Fresh off of dual-ACC titles, the Virginia Cavaliers have locked themselves in a home-and-home series with George Washington, who is coming off of their own trip to the NCAA tournament.
The first game of the series is going to be held at John Paul Jones Arena in 2014, with the Colonials getting a return game the following season.
“Our goal is to play a schedule that is challenging and puts us in a position for a berth to the NCAA Tournament every season,” said GW head coach Mike Lonergan. “It’s going to be an exciting regional rivalry for our players, students, alumni and fans.”
Hopefully, this can grow into a quality rivalry in an area that desperately needs quality rivalries. Maryland and Georgetown still refuse to play over a silly beef between John Thompson Jr. and Lefty Driesell. The Hoyas no longer play Syracuse in the Big East while Maryland is headed to the Big Ten next season.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Green Bay’s Keifer Sykes maintains the chip on his shoulder 0
- Skal Labissiere, Reach Your Dreams Prep and why this isn’t as scuzzy as it sounds 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 9 Gonzaga Bulldogs 2
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)