Apr 21, 2014, 4:35 PM EDT
The Pitt Panthers received a commitment from a late-blooming guard on Monday afternoon as 6-foot-8 2014 combo guard Cameron Johnson signed his letter of intent to play in the ACC next season, according to the Our Lady of Sacred Heart basketball team’s Twitter account.
According to Kevin Gorman of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Johnson started his junior season of high school at 6-foot-2 but has grown six inches in the last year-and-a-half to make him 6-foot-8. Johnson is the son of former Pitt Panther Gil Johnson, who played for the program from 1988 through 1990. Johnson’s mother, Amy Schuler, was also a 1,000-point scorer at Kent State in the ’80s.
Johnson averaged 27.8 points, eight rebounds and five assists per game as a senior and also had scholarship offers from Elon, Rice and Wofford and was receiving interest from Boston College, Stanford and Virginia, according to Gorman.
“Coach Dixon said he saw how much I improved since the summer and said he saw the potential he could pull out of me,” Johnson said to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “I’ve been talking to some big schools all along, so it wasn’t a shock to me, but everyone in Western Pennsylvania loves Pitt, and my dad played there. It was always a dream, and I knew I had the ability, too, if I could hit that growth spurt. It’s pretty cool.”
Johnson joins former Vanderbilt forward Sheldon Jeter, 6-foot-7 forward Ryan Luther, 6-foot-11 center and Netherlands native Shaquille Doorson and 6-foot-9 JUCO center Tyrone Haughton in Pitt’s 2014 recruiting class.
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 2
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 0
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 3
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight 6
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)
- Villanova lands commitment from five-star point guard Jalen Brunson (2)