Apr 21, 2014, 4:35 PM EST
The Pitt Panthers received a commitment from a late-blooming guard on Monday afternoon as 6-foot-8 2014 combo guard Cameron Johnson signed his letter of intent to play in the ACC next season, according to the Our Lady of Sacred Heart basketball team’s Twitter account.
According to Kevin Gorman of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Johnson started his junior season of high school at 6-foot-2 but has grown six inches in the last year-and-a-half to make him 6-foot-8. Johnson is the son of former Pitt Panther Gil Johnson, who played for the program from 1988 through 1990. Johnson’s mother, Amy Schuler, was also a 1,000-point scorer at Kent State in the ’80s.
Johnson averaged 27.8 points, eight rebounds and five assists per game as a senior and also had scholarship offers from Elon, Rice and Wofford and was receiving interest from Boston College, Stanford and Virginia, according to Gorman.
“Coach Dixon said he saw how much I improved since the summer and said he saw the potential he could pull out of me,” Johnson said to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “I’ve been talking to some big schools all along, so it wasn’t a shock to me, but everyone in Western Pennsylvania loves Pitt, and my dad played there. It was always a dream, and I knew I had the ability, too, if I could hit that growth spurt. It’s pretty cool.”
Johnson joins former Vanderbilt forward Sheldon Jeter, 6-foot-7 forward Ryan Luther, 6-foot-11 center and Netherlands native Shaquille Doorson and 6-foot-9 JUCO center Tyrone Haughton in Pitt’s 2014 recruiting class.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)