Apr 21, 2014, 11:20 AM EST
Louisiana-Lafayette point guard Elfrid Payton will enter the NBA Draft on Monday, according to a report from Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com.
Payton averaged 19.2 points, 6.0 boards, 5.9 assists and 2.3 steals as a junior for the Ragin’ Cajuns, who made a run to the NCAA tournament this season. And while he has played three seasons at the collegiate level, Payton is young for his age; he was on the Team USA U-19 team last summer, a group made up of guys that were mostly freshmen or sophomore this past year. Jahlil Okafor, who was a high school senior this past season, was on that team as well.
Payton came out of relative obscurity to make that team. He was barely recruited coming out of high school, stuck as a young senior on a good high school team whose best player was also a point guard. But he grew a couple inches, and physically matured as well, during his time on the UL campus.
At 6-foot-3, Payton is an athletic point guard with long arms. He can really get after it on the defensive end of the floor, and he’s terrific in transition and when he can get a lane and a head of steam going to the basket. Where he struggles is with his ability to shoot the ball from the perimeter. He’s not a lock to get drafted in the first round, but he’s projected to fall somewhere in that 20-40 range.
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)