Apr 21, 2014, 11:20 AM EST
Louisiana-Lafayette point guard Elfrid Payton will enter the NBA Draft on Monday, according to a report from Jeff Goodman of ESPN.com.
Payton averaged 19.2 points, 6.0 boards, 5.9 assists and 2.3 steals as a junior for the Ragin’ Cajuns, who made a run to the NCAA tournament this season. And while he has played three seasons at the collegiate level, Payton is young for his age; he was on the Team USA U-19 team last summer, a group made up of guys that were mostly freshmen or sophomore this past year. Jahlil Okafor, who was a high school senior this past season, was on that team as well.
Payton came out of relative obscurity to make that team. He was barely recruited coming out of high school, stuck as a young senior on a good high school team whose best player was also a point guard. But he grew a couple inches, and physically matured as well, during his time on the UL campus.
At 6-foot-3, Payton is an athletic point guard with long arms. He can really get after it on the defensive end of the floor, and he’s terrific in transition and when he can get a lane and a head of steam going to the basket. Where he struggles is with his ability to shoot the ball from the perimeter. He’s not a lock to get drafted in the first round, but he’s projected to fall somewhere in that 20-40 range.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)