Apr 21, 2014, 11:54 PM EDT
Indiana has seen its fair share of losses this offseason with the early NBA Draft departure of Noah Vonleh and the transfer or Jeremy Hollowell and Austin Etherington. Now the Hoosiers will have a coaching staff departure to deal with as — according to Scout.com‘s Evan Daniels — Indiana assistant coach Kenny Johnson will take the same position at Louisville.
Louisville’s hiring of Johnson helps them replace former assistant coach Kevin Keatts, who took the UNC-Wilmington head coaching job earlier this spring.
Johnson spent the past two seasons at Indiana after previously spending a season as an assistant coach at Towson and he’s regarded as a major recruiter, especially on the East Coast. Johnson has deep ties to the loaded Team Takeover grassroots program in the Nike EYBL — where he’s a former coach — while also serving as a coach at high school powerhouse Paul VI in Virginia.
When Johnson replaced former Indiana assistant coach and current Samford head coach Bennie Seltzer, the new recruiting coordinator immediately paid dividends for head coach Tom Crean by helping land Stanford Robinson, as well as playing a role in the recruitments of Vonleh and Troy Williams.
Johnson struck again in the 2014 class as he helped land Richmond, Virginia native Robert Johnson — no relation — and Johnson was also active in staying on McDonald’s All-American James Blackmon Jr. after Blackmon decommitted from Indiana, only to recommit last fall.
Maryland was also in the running for Johnson, who graduated from there in 1999.
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (6)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)