Apr 21, 2014, 11:54 PM EDT
Indiana has seen its fair share of losses this offseason with the early NBA Draft departure of Noah Vonleh and the transfer or Jeremy Hollowell and Austin Etherington. Now the Hoosiers will have a coaching staff departure to deal with as — according to Scout.com‘s Evan Daniels — Indiana assistant coach Kenny Johnson will take the same position at Louisville.
Louisville’s hiring of Johnson helps them replace former assistant coach Kevin Keatts, who took the UNC-Wilmington head coaching job earlier this spring.
Johnson spent the past two seasons at Indiana after previously spending a season as an assistant coach at Towson and he’s regarded as a major recruiter, especially on the East Coast. Johnson has deep ties to the loaded Team Takeover grassroots program in the Nike EYBL — where he’s a former coach — while also serving as a coach at high school powerhouse Paul VI in Virginia.
When Johnson replaced former Indiana assistant coach and current Samford head coach Bennie Seltzer, the new recruiting coordinator immediately paid dividends for head coach Tom Crean by helping land Stanford Robinson, as well as playing a role in the recruitments of Vonleh and Troy Williams.
Johnson struck again in the 2014 class as he helped land Richmond, Virginia native Robert Johnson — no relation — and Johnson was also active in staying on McDonald’s All-American James Blackmon Jr. after Blackmon decommitted from Indiana, only to recommit last fall.
Maryland was also in the running for Johnson, who graduated from there in 1999.
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)
- Blue Ribbon releases their Preseason First Team All-Americans (1)