Apr 21, 2014, 9:46 PM EDT
With the April 27th deadline looming for underclassmen to enter the 2014 NBA Draft, LSU freshman forward Jordan Mickey is one of the more intriguing names yet to make a decision.
The 6-foot-8 Mickey averaged 12.7 points, 7.9 rebounds and 3.1 blocks per game last season for the Tigers while making the Freshman All-SEC team. Mickey also garnered second-team All-SEC honors.
According to a report from Ben Love of Tiger Sports Digest, Mickey has yet to come to a decision on his future. Love spoke with Mickey’s father, James Wright Sr., who gave the latest.
“Still haven’t made any decision as of yet,” Wright Sr. said in the report. “Right now we’re just waiting for additional information. Coach [Johnny] Jones is quite aware of everything we’re doing. I’ve kept him close to what we’re doing. Once again everyone is just waiting for us to make a final decision.”
Wright Sr. went on to say that Mickey and LSU head coach Johnny Jones have met and discussed the future, but Wright Sr. wasn’t apart of that conversation personally. Matthew Harris of The Advocate spoke with Wright Sr. on Monday evening regarding the timeline of events going on this week:
Any communications between Wright and Jones have been handled over the phone.
“I’ve spoke with him several times,” Wright said. “I just told Coach Jones that we’re trying to get the best information and take the best approach for our family.”
Yet Wright also said he plans to take a trip to Baton Rouge “around the middle, to later this week” for a face-to-face chat Jones. After that meeting, a decision about Mickey’s future in Baton Rouge may be handed down.
Obviously, no decision has been made regarding Mickey’s future but it’s a positive sign for a potential return to LSU if Mickey and his family are communicating everything with Jones about regarding the NBA Draft decision. Sometimes when players leave for the NBA Draft there is minimal communication between the player and coaching staff and that doesn’t appear to be the case here.
The Tigers are really hoping Mickey returns after LSU already lost junior forward Johnny O’Bryant to the 2014 NBA Draft. Freshman big man Jarell Martin appears to be returning and along with incoming freshman center Elbert Robertson, the Tigers could have a nice rotation of frontcourt players with good size if Mickey returns for his sophomore season.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 0
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 3
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- Syracuse makes it official that Mike Hopkins will take over in 2018 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- Five-star guard to announce college choice Wednesday evening (5)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)