Apr 21, 2014, 10:33 PM EST
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Tennessee moved quickly through its head coaching search on Monday as the Vols hired Southern Miss head coach Donnie Tyndall to the same position, according to a report from CBSSports.com‘s Gary Parrish.
Earlier on Monday, Tennessee’s talks with Louisiana Tech head coach Mike White stalled and White withdrew his name from consideration for the job before the Vols moved very quickly on Tyndall, their next name on the list.
Tyndall led Southern Miss to the NIT in both of his seasons as head coach after previously leading Morehead State to a pair of NCAA Tournament appearances. Tyndall was 56-17 overall at Southern Miss after a 114-84 mark in six seasons at Morehead State. Tyndall has made a postseason appearance in five of his last six seasons as a head coach.
Tyndall was also an assistant at LSU and Middle Tennessee State, so he has experience recruiting in both the SEC and the state of Tennessee. The 43-year-old Tyndall replaces former Tennessee head coach Cuonzo Martin, who left to take the same position at Cal.
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 1
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (10)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (8)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)