Apr 21, 2014, 10:33 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Tennessee moved quickly through its head coaching search on Monday as the Vols hired Southern Miss head coach Donnie Tyndall to the same position, according to a report from CBSSports.com‘s Gary Parrish.
Earlier on Monday, Tennessee’s talks with Louisiana Tech head coach Mike White stalled and White withdrew his name from consideration for the job before the Vols moved very quickly on Tyndall, their next name on the list.
Tyndall led Southern Miss to the NIT in both of his seasons as head coach after previously leading Morehead State to a pair of NCAA Tournament appearances. Tyndall was 56-17 overall at Southern Miss after a 114-84 mark in six seasons at Morehead State. Tyndall has made a postseason appearance in five of his last six seasons as a head coach.
Tyndall was also an assistant at LSU and Middle Tennessee State, so he has experience recruiting in both the SEC and the state of Tennessee. The 43-year-old Tyndall replaces former Tennessee head coach Cuonzo Martin, who left to take the same position at Cal.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UCF lands a unique center, Tennessee’s impact wing, Saint Louis gets rising center 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 1
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)