Apr 21, 2014, 8:53 PM EDT
Duke picked up one of the most sought-after transfers on the market on Monday when former Rice big man Sean Obi committed to the Blue Devils, Obi announced on his Instagram.
“Happy to officially announce that I will be attending Duke university for the rest of my college basketball career. Very thankful for all the support and love from my family and friends all over, and also to every college Coach that have called and been in involved with me through out this process. Duke it is!!,” Obi said in the post.
The 6-foot-9, 265-pound Obi had a monster freshman season for the Owls as he averaged 11.4 points and a Conference USA-leading 9.3 rebounds per game while shooting 59 percent from the field. NCAA transfer rules dictate that Obi must sit out next season, but he’ll have three seasons of eligibility remaining after that.
This is especially big for Duke because with incoming freshman center Jahlil Okafor being a potential one-and-done big man, the Blue Devils have a backup plan on the interior in case the Chicago-native leaves as anticipated for the 2015 NBA Draft.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 43
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (43)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)