Apr 22, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Andrew Wiggins, who might be the top pick in the 2014 NBA Draft, is the most popular athlete in Kansas, according to a recent study. That’s not much of a surprise after the freshman small forward entered Lawrence with tons of hype, and ended up as the team’s leading scorer at 17.4 points per game.
But it was a little head-scratching that he was also the most searched player in, of all places, Kentucky, per BestTickets.com, which conducted the study using Google searches and published the results on Tuesday.
The study ran from April 2013 to April 2014, so you can imagine that early in this study Kentucky fans were constantly searching for recruiting updates on Wiggins, the prized recruit from the Class of 2013. Kentucky was one of his four finalists before he announced his decision to sign with Kansas on May 14.
This was also limited to athletes. I imagine if you open it up to all sports figures, John Calipari would be the most searched person in the Bluegrass State, if that were the case.
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 2
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (17)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)