Apr 22, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
Andrew Wiggins, who might be the top pick in the 2014 NBA Draft, is the most popular athlete in Kansas, according to a recent study. That’s not much of a surprise after the freshman small forward entered Lawrence with tons of hype, and ended up as the team’s leading scorer at 17.4 points per game.
But it was a little head-scratching that he was also the most searched player in, of all places, Kentucky, per BestTickets.com, which conducted the study using Google searches and published the results on Tuesday.
The study ran from April 2013 to April 2014, so you can imagine that early in this study Kentucky fans were constantly searching for recruiting updates on Wiggins, the prized recruit from the Class of 2013. Kentucky was one of his four finalists before he announced his decision to sign with Kansas on May 14.
This was also limited to athletes. I imagine if you open it up to all sports figures, John Calipari would be the most searched person in the Bluegrass State, if that were the case.
- NBCSports.com Midseason All-American Team 0
- Kentucky still has one more major test to pass this season and it might not come against Louisville 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: The showdown between Kentucky, Louisville looms 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Ohio State Buckeyes 0
- Weekly Awards: Marquette’s new addition, a shakeup in Pac-12’s power structure ? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 25: Virginia moves up, three teams drop out 1
- ACC suspends Louisville junior forward Montrezl Harrell one game 1
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss (3)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)