Apr 22, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
A loss to Wisconsin in the Round of 32 put an end to Johnathan Loyd’s basketball career with Oregon. One month later, the 5-foot-8 former floor general is running routes as the newest member of the Oregon football team.
Loyd quickly impressed his new teammates with some catches he hauled in, and his incredible speed, according to a story from Lindsay Schnell of Sports Illustrated.
“I wanted to suit up for the Ducks one last time. Not a lot of people can say the Oregon Ducks offered them a football scholarship, ” Loyd told Sports Illustrated.
Loyd hasn’t played organized football since 2009 when he was a senior at Bishop Gorman High (Nev.). However, the addition of Loyd could have an impact on the Ducks this season. Oregon graduated top receiver Josh Huff, who caught 62 passes for 12 touchdowns in 2013. An injury to the team’s top returning receiver Bralon Addison has led to depth concerns for the Ducks.
“I’m not looking at John as just another [practice] body,” Oregon wide receiver Keanon Lowe said. “He’s someone who can help us.”
Oregon went 11-2 last season, winning the Alamo Bowl.
Loyd finished his career on the hardwood setting career highs in points (7.0) and assists (4.7) per game.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)