Apr 22, 2014, 7:15 PM EST
A loss to Wisconsin in the Round of 32 put an end to Johnathan Loyd’s basketball career with Oregon. One month later, the 5-foot-8 former floor general is running routes as the newest member of the Oregon football team.
Loyd quickly impressed his new teammates with some catches he hauled in, and his incredible speed, according to a story from Lindsay Schnell of Sports Illustrated.
“I wanted to suit up for the Ducks one last time. Not a lot of people can say the Oregon Ducks offered them a football scholarship, ” Loyd told Sports Illustrated.
Loyd hasn’t played organized football since 2009 when he was a senior at Bishop Gorman High (Nev.). However, the addition of Loyd could have an impact on the Ducks this season. Oregon graduated top receiver Josh Huff, who caught 62 passes for 12 touchdowns in 2013. An injury to the team’s top returning receiver Bralon Addison has led to depth concerns for the Ducks.
“I’m not looking at John as just another [practice] body,” Oregon wide receiver Keanon Lowe said. “He’s someone who can help us.”
Oregon went 11-2 last season, winning the Alamo Bowl.
Loyd finished his career on the hardwood setting career highs in points (7.0) and assists (4.7) per game.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)