Apr 22, 2014, 7:15 PM EST
A loss to Wisconsin in the Round of 32 put an end to Johnathan Loyd’s basketball career with Oregon. One month later, the 5-foot-8 former floor general is running routes as the newest member of the Oregon football team.
Loyd quickly impressed his new teammates with some catches he hauled in, and his incredible speed, according to a story from Lindsay Schnell of Sports Illustrated.
“I wanted to suit up for the Ducks one last time. Not a lot of people can say the Oregon Ducks offered them a football scholarship, ” Loyd told Sports Illustrated.
Loyd hasn’t played organized football since 2009 when he was a senior at Bishop Gorman High (Nev.). However, the addition of Loyd could have an impact on the Ducks this season. Oregon graduated top receiver Josh Huff, who caught 62 passes for 12 touchdowns in 2013. An injury to the team’s top returning receiver Bralon Addison has led to depth concerns for the Ducks.
“I’m not looking at John as just another [practice] body,” Oregon wide receiver Keanon Lowe said. “He’s someone who can help us.”
Oregon went 11-2 last season, winning the Alamo Bowl.
Loyd finished his career on the hardwood setting career highs in points (7.0) and assists (4.7) per game.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 8
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 14
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)