Apr 22, 2014, 11:08 PM EST
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Five days after Frank Haith left Missouri for Tulsa, a candidate has emerged to replace him in Columbia, according to a report on Tuesday night.
Jeff Goodman of ESPN has been informed by sources that UTEP head coach Tim Floyd is a strong candidate to be the next head coach at Mizzou. Floyd, who has coached in both the NBA and college, has spent the past four seasons with the Miners, with a pair of 20-win seasons.
Before his current stint at UTEP, Floyd was on the USC sidelines, leading the Trojans to a Sweet 16 in his second season. That coaching job marked his return to the college ranks after serving as the head coach of the Chicago Bulls and New Orleans Hornets following his four years at Iowa State.
In his 20 years as a college coach, which includes stops at Idaho and New Orleans, Floyd has amassed a 408-233 record.
UTEP finished 23-11 (12-4 Conference USA), one game behind Southern Miss, Louisiana Tech, Middle Tennessee and Tulsa for a four-way tie atop the conference standings. The Miners’ season ended in the CBI Tournament.
Floyd is just the latest C-USA coach to be targeted for a high-major vacancy. Tulsa head coach Danny Manning took over Wake Forest after taking the Golden Hurricane to the NCAA tournament. Michael White was being eyed as a potential replacement for Cuonzo Martin at Tennessee. He decided to remain at Louisiana Tech. Southern Miss head coach Donnie Tyndall was hired by the Volunteers on Monday.
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 4
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (4)