Apr 22, 2014, 11:08 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Five days after Frank Haith left Missouri for Tulsa, a candidate has emerged to replace him in Columbia, according to a report on Tuesday night.
Jeff Goodman of ESPN has been informed by sources that UTEP head coach Tim Floyd is a strong candidate to be the next head coach at Mizzou. Floyd, who has coached in both the NBA and college, has spent the past four seasons with the Miners, with a pair of 20-win seasons.
Before his current stint at UTEP, Floyd was on the USC sidelines, leading the Trojans to a Sweet 16 in his second season. That coaching job marked his return to the college ranks after serving as the head coach of the Chicago Bulls and New Orleans Hornets following his four years at Iowa State.
In his 20 years as a college coach, which includes stops at Idaho and New Orleans, Floyd has amassed a 408-233 record.
UTEP finished 23-11 (12-4 Conference USA), one game behind Southern Miss, Louisiana Tech, Middle Tennessee and Tulsa for a four-way tie atop the conference standings. The Miners’ season ended in the CBI Tournament.
Floyd is just the latest C-USA coach to be targeted for a high-major vacancy. Tulsa head coach Danny Manning took over Wake Forest after taking the Golden Hurricane to the NCAA tournament. Michael White was being eyed as a potential replacement for Cuonzo Martin at Tennessee. He decided to remain at Louisiana Tech. Southern Miss head coach Donnie Tyndall was hired by the Volunteers on Monday.
- Oklahoma State lands commitment from elite point guard in 2015 0
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Frank Haith lands first commitment as head coach at Tulsa (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)