Apr 22, 2014, 11:08 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Five days after Frank Haith left Missouri for Tulsa, a candidate has emerged to replace him in Columbia, according to a report on Tuesday night.
Jeff Goodman of ESPN has been informed by sources that UTEP head coach Tim Floyd is a strong candidate to be the next head coach at Mizzou. Floyd, who has coached in both the NBA and college, has spent the past four seasons with the Miners, with a pair of 20-win seasons.
Before his current stint at UTEP, Floyd was on the USC sidelines, leading the Trojans to a Sweet 16 in his second season. That coaching job marked his return to the college ranks after serving as the head coach of the Chicago Bulls and New Orleans Hornets following his four years at Iowa State.
In his 20 years as a college coach, which includes stops at Idaho and New Orleans, Floyd has amassed a 408-233 record.
UTEP finished 23-11 (12-4 Conference USA), one game behind Southern Miss, Louisiana Tech, Middle Tennessee and Tulsa for a four-way tie atop the conference standings. The Miners’ season ended in the CBI Tournament.
Floyd is just the latest C-USA coach to be targeted for a high-major vacancy. Tulsa head coach Danny Manning took over Wake Forest after taking the Golden Hurricane to the NCAA tournament. Michael White was being eyed as a potential replacement for Cuonzo Martin at Tennessee. He decided to remain at Louisiana Tech. Southern Miss head coach Donnie Tyndall was hired by the Volunteers on Monday.
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- CBT Quotables Part IV: The Lawsons, Stephen Zimmerman, Malik Monk 1
- Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Rabb, Zimmerman go big, Chris Clarke goes hard, Lawson bros advance 0
- Nike Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Jayson Tatum, DeAndre Ayton and Briscoe vs. Trier 0
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)