Apr 22, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
After three seasons on the Southern sidelines, head coach Roman Banks will receive a new contract, the school announced on Monday. The extension is pending, but the two sides have agreed in principle to a new deal.
“Today, Southern University has expressed its commitment to the future of the men’s basketball program by investing in me to remain as head coach,” Banks said in a statement. “With a new agreement in place, I am eager to move the men’s basketball program forward while elevating the standard of excellence that we set as a coaching staff when I first arrived in 2011. But none of this would be possible without the relentless efforts of our university administration, athletics director, coaches and, most importantly, our student-athletes.”
Banks is 59-37 in three seasons with the Jaguars, leading them to the 2013 NCAA Tournament where they nearly became the first No. 16 seed to upset a No. 1 seed, losing to Gonzaga, 64-58.
He followed up that near upset with the top spot in the SWAC in 2013-2014, but hopes for a return trip to the tournament were dashed in the conference tournament quarterfinals, falling to Prairie View A&M. Since the season came to a close, Banks had been in talks with Texas A&M about becoming Billy Kennedy’s top assistant coach.
Southern returns leading scorer and rebounder Calvin Godfrey and point guard Christopher Hyder, a sophomore point guard who had a 4.3 assist-to-turnover ratio.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)