Apr 22, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
After three seasons on the Southern sidelines, head coach Roman Banks will receive a new contract, the school announced on Monday. The extension is pending, but the two sides have agreed in principle to a new deal.
“Today, Southern University has expressed its commitment to the future of the men’s basketball program by investing in me to remain as head coach,” Banks said in a statement. “With a new agreement in place, I am eager to move the men’s basketball program forward while elevating the standard of excellence that we set as a coaching staff when I first arrived in 2011. But none of this would be possible without the relentless efforts of our university administration, athletics director, coaches and, most importantly, our student-athletes.”
Banks is 59-37 in three seasons with the Jaguars, leading them to the 2013 NCAA Tournament where they nearly became the first No. 16 seed to upset a No. 1 seed, losing to Gonzaga, 64-58.
He followed up that near upset with the top spot in the SWAC in 2013-2014, but hopes for a return trip to the tournament were dashed in the conference tournament quarterfinals, falling to Prairie View A&M. Since the season came to a close, Banks had been in talks with Texas A&M about becoming Billy Kennedy’s top assistant coach.
Southern returns leading scorer and rebounder Calvin Godfrey and point guard Christopher Hyder, a sophomore point guard who had a 4.3 assist-to-turnover ratio.
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 0
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 0
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)