Apr 23, 2014, 5:23 PM EDT
With leading scorer Brandon Young out of eligibility, DePaul had some room to add another player capable of helping the Blue Demons as they look to end their lengthy stay in the Big East cellar. And on Wednesday the program made that addition, receiving a verbal commitment from Hutchinson (Kan.) CC shooting guard Darrick Wood (subscription required).
In 27 games at Hutchinson this past season Wood averaged 13.6 points, 3.7 rebounds and 2.7 assists per game, surpassing the 20-point mark in six games. Wood scored 27 in a win over Cloud County CC on February 19, and that was the first of three consecutive games in which he scored at least 20 points.
Wood was originally a St. John’s commitment out of high school, playing a postgraduate season at Bridgton Academy in Maine before having to go the junior college route.
DePaul will be led on the perimeter by rising sophomore Billy Garrett Jr., who won Big East Rookie of the Year honors in 2013-14. Outside of Garrett there are questions, with Durell McDonald and Charles McKinney combining to average just 9.3 points per game and R.J. Curington playing in just 17 games last season.
With that in mind head coach Oliver Purnell’s gone the junior college route, with Aaron Simpson having already signed and three of their four newcomers (forward Rashaun Stimage) being JUCO transfers. Forward Raymond Doby, who committed in December and will be a freshman next season, has yet to sign a National Letter of Intent.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)