Apr 23, 2014, 5:23 PM EDT
With leading scorer Brandon Young out of eligibility, DePaul had some room to add another player capable of helping the Blue Demons as they look to end their lengthy stay in the Big East cellar. And on Wednesday the program made that addition, receiving a verbal commitment from Hutchinson (Kan.) CC shooting guard Darrick Wood (subscription required).
In 27 games at Hutchinson this past season Wood averaged 13.6 points, 3.7 rebounds and 2.7 assists per game, surpassing the 20-point mark in six games. Wood scored 27 in a win over Cloud County CC on February 19, and that was the first of three consecutive games in which he scored at least 20 points.
Wood was originally a St. John’s commitment out of high school, playing a postgraduate season at Bridgton Academy in Maine before having to go the junior college route.
DePaul will be led on the perimeter by rising sophomore Billy Garrett Jr., who won Big East Rookie of the Year honors in 2013-14. Outside of Garrett there are questions, with Durell McDonald and Charles McKinney combining to average just 9.3 points per game and R.J. Curington playing in just 17 games last season.
With that in mind head coach Oliver Purnell’s gone the junior college route, with Aaron Simpson having already signed and three of their four newcomers (forward Rashaun Stimage) being JUCO transfers. Forward Raymond Doby, who committed in December and will be a freshman next season, has yet to sign a National Letter of Intent.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)