Apr 23, 2014, 5:23 PM EDT
With leading scorer Brandon Young out of eligibility, DePaul had some room to add another player capable of helping the Blue Demons as they look to end their lengthy stay in the Big East cellar. And on Wednesday the program made that addition, receiving a verbal commitment from Hutchinson (Kan.) CC shooting guard Darrick Wood (subscription required).
In 27 games at Hutchinson this past season Wood averaged 13.6 points, 3.7 rebounds and 2.7 assists per game, surpassing the 20-point mark in six games. Wood scored 27 in a win over Cloud County CC on February 19, and that was the first of three consecutive games in which he scored at least 20 points.
Wood was originally a St. John’s commitment out of high school, playing a postgraduate season at Bridgton Academy in Maine before having to go the junior college route.
DePaul will be led on the perimeter by rising sophomore Billy Garrett Jr., who won Big East Rookie of the Year honors in 2013-14. Outside of Garrett there are questions, with Durell McDonald and Charles McKinney combining to average just 9.3 points per game and R.J. Curington playing in just 17 games last season.
With that in mind head coach Oliver Purnell’s gone the junior college route, with Aaron Simpson having already signed and three of their four newcomers (forward Rashaun Stimage) being JUCO transfers. Forward Raymond Doby, who committed in December and will be a freshman next season, has yet to sign a National Letter of Intent.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 0
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 3
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- Syracuse makes it official that Mike Hopkins will take over in 2018 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- Five-star guard to announce college choice Wednesday evening (5)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)