Apr 23, 2014, 5:23 PM EST
With leading scorer Brandon Young out of eligibility, DePaul had some room to add another player capable of helping the Blue Demons as they look to end their lengthy stay in the Big East cellar. And on Wednesday the program made that addition, receiving a verbal commitment from Hutchinson (Kan.) CC shooting guard Darrick Wood (subscription required).
In 27 games at Hutchinson this past season Wood averaged 13.6 points, 3.7 rebounds and 2.7 assists per game, surpassing the 20-point mark in six games. Wood scored 27 in a win over Cloud County CC on February 19, and that was the first of three consecutive games in which he scored at least 20 points.
Wood was originally a St. John’s commitment out of high school, playing a postgraduate season at Bridgton Academy in Maine before having to go the junior college route.
DePaul will be led on the perimeter by rising sophomore Billy Garrett Jr., who won Big East Rookie of the Year honors in 2013-14. Outside of Garrett there are questions, with Durell McDonald and Charles McKinney combining to average just 9.3 points per game and R.J. Curington playing in just 17 games last season.
With that in mind head coach Oliver Purnell’s gone the junior college route, with Aaron Simpson having already signed and three of their four newcomers (forward Rashaun Stimage) being JUCO transfers. Forward Raymond Doby, who committed in December and will be a freshman next season, has yet to sign a National Letter of Intent.
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- Chase for 180: Boise State rebounds from 0-3 conference start thanks to Derrick Marks 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)