Apr 23, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
LSU freshman forward Jordan Mickey announced on Wednesday afternoon that he will be returning Baton Rouge for his sophomore season.
Mickey was one of the best freshmen in the country for much of the season, averaging 12.7 points, 7.9 boards and 3.1 blocks, the latter of which was good for ninth nationally.
Mickey has a 7’1.5″ wingspan and is a terrific athlete, but as of right now he’s a shot blocker that stands a shade under 6-foot-8. He doesn’t have a jump shot and he doesn’t have a post move, which is not a good combination.
Mickey is projected as the No. 36 pick in the 2015 draft by Draft Express.
This news is huge for LSU, however, especially if Jarell Martin keeps his name out of the draft as well. The Tigers have already lost Johnny O’Bryant to the NBA this offseason, but with the rest of their roster intact, they have the pieces to put together a run to the NCAA tournament next season. Don’t be surprised to see them slotted right behind Kentucky and Florida as the third-best team in the conference in the preseason.
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 2
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Missouri State’s Marcus Marshall works to strengthen knee, leadership abilities (2)
- Report: 2015 phenom Ben Simmons fully committed to attending LSU (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)