Apr 23, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
LSU freshman forward Jordan Mickey announced on Wednesday afternoon that he will be returning Baton Rouge for his sophomore season.
Mickey was one of the best freshmen in the country for much of the season, averaging 12.7 points, 7.9 boards and 3.1 blocks, the latter of which was good for ninth nationally.
Mickey has a 7’1.5″ wingspan and is a terrific athlete, but as of right now he’s a shot blocker that stands a shade under 6-foot-8. He doesn’t have a jump shot and he doesn’t have a post move, which is not a good combination.
Mickey is projected as the No. 36 pick in the 2015 draft by Draft Express.
This news is huge for LSU, however, especially if Jarell Martin keeps his name out of the draft as well. The Tigers have already lost Johnny O’Bryant to the NBA this offseason, but with the rest of their roster intact, they have the pieces to put together a run to the NCAA tournament next season. Don’t be surprised to see them slotted right behind Kentucky and Florida as the third-best team in the conference in the preseason.
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (3)