Apr 23, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
LSU freshman forward Jordan Mickey announced on Wednesday afternoon that he will be returning Baton Rouge for his sophomore season.
Mickey was one of the best freshmen in the country for much of the season, averaging 12.7 points, 7.9 boards and 3.1 blocks, the latter of which was good for ninth nationally.
Mickey has a 7’1.5″ wingspan and is a terrific athlete, but as of right now he’s a shot blocker that stands a shade under 6-foot-8. He doesn’t have a jump shot and he doesn’t have a post move, which is not a good combination.
Mickey is projected as the No. 36 pick in the 2015 draft by Draft Express.
This news is huge for LSU, however, especially if Jarell Martin keeps his name out of the draft as well. The Tigers have already lost Johnny O’Bryant to the NBA this offseason, but with the rest of their roster intact, they have the pieces to put together a run to the NCAA tournament next season. Don’t be surprised to see them slotted right behind Kentucky and Florida as the third-best team in the conference in the preseason.
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)