Apr 23, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
LSU freshman forward Jordan Mickey announced on Wednesday afternoon that he will be returning Baton Rouge for his sophomore season.
Mickey was one of the best freshmen in the country for much of the season, averaging 12.7 points, 7.9 boards and 3.1 blocks, the latter of which was good for ninth nationally.
Mickey has a 7’1.5″ wingspan and is a terrific athlete, but as of right now he’s a shot blocker that stands a shade under 6-foot-8. He doesn’t have a jump shot and he doesn’t have a post move, which is not a good combination.
Mickey is projected as the No. 36 pick in the 2015 draft by Draft Express.
This news is huge for LSU, however, especially if Jarell Martin keeps his name out of the draft as well. The Tigers have already lost Johnny O’Bryant to the NBA this offseason, but with the rest of their roster intact, they have the pieces to put together a run to the NCAA tournament next season. Don’t be surprised to see them slotted right behind Kentucky and Florida as the third-best team in the conference in the preseason.
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 1
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)