Apr 23, 2014, 7:49 PM EDT
Less than a week after being introduced as the new head coach at Tulsa, Frank Haith has filled out his coaching staff and the trio certainly doesn’t lack for experience at the Division I level.
Dave Leitao, who was with Haith at Missouri, will be an assistant with Tom Abatemarco and Dennis Felton rounding out the staff. Combined this group has 27 seasons of head coaching experience, with both Leitao and Felton having last run their respective programs in 2009.
“I am excited to have this group of coaches on board with us at Tulsa,” Haith said in the release. “Combined, they bring a wealth of experience at both the collegiate and professional levels. They have coached at the highest levels of college basketball and will provide great knowledge and experiences to share with our players.”
This experienced quartet will look to lead the Golden Hurricane back to the NCAA tournament, but that task will be a bit more difficult now that the school is a member of the American Athletic Conference (that move becomes official July 1). Tulsa won a share of the Conference USA regular season title and beat Louisiana Tech in the conference tournament title game, going on to lose to UCLA in the Round of 64.
And outside of guards Tim Peete and Patrick Swilling Jr., Tulsa is expected to return most of the rotation that led the program to its first NCAA tournament appearance since 2003.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)