Apr 23, 2014, 7:49 PM EDT
Less than a week after being introduced as the new head coach at Tulsa, Frank Haith has filled out his coaching staff and the trio certainly doesn’t lack for experience at the Division I level.
Dave Leitao, who was with Haith at Missouri, will be an assistant with Tom Abatemarco and Dennis Felton rounding out the staff. Combined this group has 27 seasons of head coaching experience, with both Leitao and Felton having last run their respective programs in 2009.
“I am excited to have this group of coaches on board with us at Tulsa,” Haith said in the release. “Combined, they bring a wealth of experience at both the collegiate and professional levels. They have coached at the highest levels of college basketball and will provide great knowledge and experiences to share with our players.”
This experienced quartet will look to lead the Golden Hurricane back to the NCAA tournament, but that task will be a bit more difficult now that the school is a member of the American Athletic Conference (that move becomes official July 1). Tulsa won a share of the Conference USA regular season title and beat Louisiana Tech in the conference tournament title game, going on to lose to UCLA in the Round of 64.
And outside of guards Tim Peete and Patrick Swilling Jr., Tulsa is expected to return most of the rotation that led the program to its first NCAA tournament appearance since 2003.
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)