Apr 24, 2014, 4:49 PM EDT
Arizona State has been awfully busy on the junior college recruiting trail recently, with three of their six newcomers coming from that level of basketball. The number of newcomers rose to seven Thursday afternoon, as Connors State (Okla.) JC forward Willie Atwood announced his decision to join the Arizona State program.
Atwood, a 6-foot-8 forward who was also considering Florida State and Iowa, is one of the top junior college players in the country according to multiple recruiting services. As a sophomore at Connors State, Atwood averaged 20.8 points, 9.0 rebounds and 2.1 assists per game. Atwood shot 57.6% from the field and 77.4% from the foul line.
His best offensive performance came on November 13 in a 90-87 loss to Independence CC, in which he scored 48 points with 33 of those points coming from the foul line (in 37 attempts). Atwood reached double figures in all 30 of the games he played in (12 double-doubles), and of his 12 double-digit rebounding efforts there was a 20-rebound performance in a win over Seminole State College in mid-January.
With Jahii Carson, Jordan Bachynski and Jermaine Marshall all having moved on, there will be plenty of opportunities for Atwood and the six other newcomers to earn immediate playing time next season. Shaquielle McKissic, who was granted a sixth season of eligibility last week, is Arizona State’s most productive returnee with guard Bo Barnes and forward Jonathan Gilling also being members of the rotation that reached the NCAA tournament in 2013-14.
Atwood joins Savon Goodman and Connor MacDougall as Arizona State’s front court additions, with junior college transfers Gerry Blakes and Roosevelt Scott and incoming freshmen Tra Holder and Kodi Justice on the perimeter.
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 1
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)