Apr 24, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Marshall is expected to hire Dan D’Antoni, the brother of Los Angeles Lakers head coach Mike D’Antoni, to replace Tom Herrion as head coach of the Thundering Herd’s basketball program, according to an announcement from the school’s AD.
D’Antoni has been an assistant on his brother’s staff for nine years. He also played at Marshall from 1966-1970 and will be taking the job after the school openly pursued his brother for the position earlier this spring. The elder D’Antoni was an assistant coach at Marshall for a short period of time before spending 30 years as a high school coach at Socastee High School in South Carolina.
This hiring is strange. D’Antoni is 66 years old and hasn’t coached on a college sideline in four decades, and while SMU has had some success bringing Larry Brown back to the collegiate ranks, D’Antoni is n0 Larry Brown.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ (1)
- Seton Hall to give scholarship basketball players $2,600 towards cost of attendance (1)
- Indiana president none too pleased with recent legal issues involving student-athletes (1)