Apr 24, 2014, 3:12 PM EST
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Marshall is expected to hire Dan D’Antoni, the brother of Los Angeles Lakers head coach Mike D’Antoni, to replace Tom Herrion as head coach of the Thundering Herd’s basketball program, according to an announcement from the school’s AD.
D’Antoni has been an assistant on his brother’s staff for nine years. He also played at Marshall from 1966-1970 and will be taking the job after the school openly pursued his brother for the position earlier this spring. The elder D’Antoni was an assistant coach at Marshall for a short period of time before spending 30 years as a high school coach at Socastee High School in South Carolina.
This hiring is strange. D’Antoni is 66 years old and hasn’t coached on a college sideline in four decades, and while SMU has had some success bringing Larry Brown back to the collegiate ranks, D’Antoni is n0 Larry Brown.
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Without Alex Poythress, No. 1 Kentucky’s offense looks comfortable in win over No. 21 North Carolina (4)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)