Apr 24, 2014, 3:12 PM EST
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Marshall is expected to hire Dan D’Antoni, the brother of Los Angeles Lakers head coach Mike D’Antoni, to replace Tom Herrion as head coach of the Thundering Herd’s basketball program, according to an announcement from the school’s AD.
D’Antoni has been an assistant on his brother’s staff for nine years. He also played at Marshall from 1966-1970 and will be taking the job after the school openly pursued his brother for the position earlier this spring. The elder D’Antoni was an assistant coach at Marshall for a short period of time before spending 30 years as a high school coach at Socastee High School in South Carolina.
This hiring is strange. D’Antoni is 66 years old and hasn’t coached on a college sideline in four decades, and while SMU has had some success bringing Larry Brown back to the collegiate ranks, D’Antoni is n0 Larry Brown.
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 13
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- No. 13 Gonzaga makes definitive statement with blowout of No. 22 SMU 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (15)
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Can the ACC produce four Final Four teams? (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Report: Kansas transfer Conner Frankamp considering Colorado, Wichita State (3)