Apr 24, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Marshall is expected to hire Dan D’Antoni, the brother of Los Angeles Lakers head coach Mike D’Antoni, to replace Tom Herrion as head coach of the Thundering Herd’s basketball program, according to an announcement from the school’s AD.
D’Antoni has been an assistant on his brother’s staff for nine years. He also played at Marshall from 1966-1970 and will be taking the job after the school openly pursued his brother for the position earlier this spring. The elder D’Antoni was an assistant coach at Marshall for a short period of time before spending 30 years as a high school coach at Socastee High School in South Carolina.
This hiring is strange. D’Antoni is 66 years old and hasn’t coached on a college sideline in four decades, and while SMU has had some success bringing Larry Brown back to the collegiate ranks, D’Antoni is n0 Larry Brown.
- Former Villanova guard headed to Oregon for final season 0
- Looking Forward: Seven coaches who’ll enter 2015-16 on the ‘hot seat’ 1
- Looking Forward: The eight most intriguing coaching hires of 2015 2
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ 6
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 8
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 (8)
- Report: Five-star small forward Jaylen Brown cuts list to four (6)
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ (6)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (5)