Apr 24, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
To follow along with the 2014 Coaching Carousel, click here.
Marshall is expected to hire Dan D’Antoni, the brother of Los Angeles Lakers head coach Mike D’Antoni, to replace Tom Herrion as head coach of the Thundering Herd’s basketball program, according to an announcement from the school’s AD.
D’Antoni has been an assistant on his brother’s staff for nine years. He also played at Marshall from 1966-1970 and will be taking the job after the school openly pursued his brother for the position earlier this spring. The elder D’Antoni was an assistant coach at Marshall for a short period of time before spending 30 years as a high school coach at Socastee High School in South Carolina.
This hiring is strange. D’Antoni is 66 years old and hasn’t coached on a college sideline in four decades, and while SMU has had some success bringing Larry Brown back to the collegiate ranks, D’Antoni is n0 Larry Brown.
- How can Wichita State build on the two best years in program history? 0
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)
- Coach K: ‘I do not see an end of my road in my college coaching’ (1)