Apr 24, 2014, 12:17 AM EDT
UConn freshman center Amida Brimah may not have put up sparkling numbers during the Huskies’ march to the national title, but if not for his three-point play in the final minute of regulation against Saint Joseph’s there would have been nets to cut down. Brimah arrived on campus a bit raw but there were flashes in 2013-14, most notably his 20-point, eight-rebound, five-block performance in a win over UCF in January.
An offseason to further hone his skills would certainly benefit Brimah, who will be asked to do more as a sophomore. But the amount of time Brimah will have to work on his game may be limited, as it was reported by Dave Borges of the New Haven Register Wednesday that the center will need to undergo surgery on his left shoulder.
Thursday morning UConn confirmed the report, announcing that Brimah will be operated on Friday to repair a torn labrum in his left shoulder. The estimated time for recovery is four to five months, according to UConn.
It’s good for Brimah and UConn that this is something that will be handled during the offseason. But how much basketball skill work will Brimah be able to do following his recovery? The answer to that question will impact just how much better Brimah is when the season begins.
In the front court UConn will return all of its key contributors next season, with DeAndre Daniels (NBA?) and Philip Nolan both having eligibility remaining. And there’s also rising sophomore Kentan Facey, who couldn’t crack the rotation after finally being cleared by the NCAA. UConn will also add Rakeem Lubin, a 6-foot-8 forward.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)