Apr 24, 2014, 5:56 PM EST
When starting point guard Cody Doolin left the San Francisco program after playing in just four games, there were questions as to what the Dons would do to account for his departure. One played who stepped up was sophomore Avry Holmes, who averaged 12.5 points and 3.1 assists per game and helped San Francisco win 21 games and finish tied for second place in the West Coast Conference.
With that season under his belt it was natural to wonder what Holmes would be able to do as a junior for Rex Walters, but according to Steve Kroner of the San Francisco Chronicle we won’t be finding out.
Holmes has decided to transfer, and Walters had an interesting comment in Kroner’s story on the matter.
Walters said Holmes, a Salem, Ore., native who just finished his sophomore season, “wants to try to go to a so-called high-major conference. … I don’t begrudge for it. Obviously, we’d love to have him.”
Holmes’ decision to leave the program means that the Dons will have to account for the loss of their top two scorers from last season, with graduating forward Cole Dickerson being the team’s leading scorer and rebounder. But that doesn’t mean San Francisco will have a bare cupboard, either.
Forwards Kruize Pinkins (12.2 ppg, 6.5 rpg) and Mark Tollefson (10.5, 3.9) will be back, as will guards Tim Derksen and Matt Glover. And while Holmes’ play was a key factor for San Francisco in the aftermath of Doolin’s departure, it should be noted that it was Glover who led the team in assists per game (3.3).
San Francisco also adds a four-member recruiting class, and SMU transfer forward Uche Ofoegbu will be eligible after having to sit out the 2013-14 season per NCAA transfer rules.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)