Apr 25, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
After transferring in from Missouri in 2011, California shooting guard Ricky Kreklow hasn’t enjoyed the best fortune when it comes to injuries. In two seasons of play at Cal Kreklow missed a total of 35 games, including 24 during the 2012-13 season due to a broken foot. As a result of the injuries Kreklow (4.8 ppg, 2.5 rpg in two seasons at Cal) wasn’t able to have the impact he hoped to upon his arrival in Berkeley.
With Justin Cobbs and Richard Solomon out of eligibility there was a chance for Kreklow to have a greater impact under new head coach Cuonzo Martin in 2014-15. However on Thursday it was announced that Kreklow will transfer, with the goal being to graduate this summer and as a result be eligible to play at his new school immediately.
While some would assume that the coaching change was the catalyst for Kreklow’s decision, he said that this wasn’t the case. And given the injuries, his father stated in an email to Jeff Faraudo of the Bay Area News Group that it’s been a tough two seasons as a result of those issues.
A 6-foot-6 wing, he also was asked to play inside at times because of the Bears’ shortage of post players.
“Been a tough couple of years for Rick with a broken foot, broken hand, broken nose, having to battle bigs down low,” Kreklow’s father Wayne said in an email.
Kreklow is the first member of the current roster to make the decision to transfer, with guards Jabari Bird, Tyrone Wallace and Jordan Mathews all on board at this time. Cal will also add two recruits in guard Ahmaad Rorie and center Kingsley Okoroh, with the latter being a needed interior body given the Golden Bears’ lack of depth in the front court.
Idrissa Diallo, who reopened his recruitment when Mike Montgomery announced his retirement, is still considering Cal as a possibility.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)