Apr 25, 2014, 11:10 AM EST
One of the issues for the Oklahoma State Cowboys in 2013-14 was their lack of interior depth, with the ruptured Achilles tendon suffered by Michael Cobbins leaving head coach Travis Ford with Le’Bryan Nash and Kamari Murphy in his front court in Big 12 play. Oklahoma State still made the NCAA tournament, but the lack of interior depth and other issues meant that their stay was a short one.
Thursday the program announced the addition of a player many believe capable of helping the Cowboys in the post in 7-foot-1 center Anthony Allen. Allen played at Lamar State College-Port Arthur last season, posting averages of 11.0 points, 8.4 rebounds and 6.2 blocks per game.
“Anthony is definitely a game changer at the defensive end,” said Lance Madison, head coach at LSC-Port Arthur. “He led the country in blocked shots two years in a row. He’s a good athlete, and runs the court extremely well. He’s gained a lot of confidence in his offense, and there is a lot of upside to it (his offense). He’s the most improved player in junior college the last two years.”
Allen is the sixth player the Cowboys have signed in its 2014 class, joining guard Jeff Newberry as the program’s second junior college addition. Cobbins and Nash will both be seniors and Murphy will be a junior, so there will be experience in the front court. And in addition to Allen, Oklahoma State signed incoming freshman center Mitchell Solomon.
Oklahoma State will have to account for the loss of Markel Brown and Marcus Smart, but the improved depth in the front court will help the Cowboys as they look to return to the NCAA tournament.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 2
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 2
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 1
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (10)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)