Apr 25, 2014, 6:10 PM EST
After weeks of holding on out on releasing him from his national letter of intent, Ohio has finally granted senior forward Tariq Owens a release from the school, according to a report from Alex Kline of the Recruit Scoop.
Rivals lists the 6-foot-8 Owens as a three-star prospect and the native of Maryland could have been a major addition for an Ohio team coming off of a 25-win season but Owens wanted to open up his options after former head coach Jim Christian left for Boston College and Ohio got North Dakota State head coach Saul Phillips.
It was reported early in April by Scout.com‘s Evan Daniels that Owens was being refused his release by Ohio athletic director Jim Schaus. Owens was even prepared to sit out for a season if Ohio refused to release him. But it appears the Bobcats have done the right thing and let Owens go on his way.
Will Owens now give a look to former head coach Jim Christian at Boston College now that the former Ohio coach is in the ACC?
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 8
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 14
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)