University of Texas student columnist gives unsigned five-star senior Myles Turner reasons to avoid Longhorns
Apr 25, 2014, 10:02 PM EST
It wouldn’t be surprising to see a student newspaper columnist write a positive column to a recruit talking about the student’s home school. Most of the time those columns are aimed at explaining the benefits of joining their program and why it would result in titles and greatness.
That wasn’t the case with The Daily Texan student columnist Evan Berkowitz with his straight-to-the-point column, “Why five-star recruit Myles Turner should not choose Texas“.
Texas is recruiting the Euless, Texas native Turner, an unsigned McDonald’s All-American and No. 9 in Rivals.com’s class of 2014 national rankings, and competing with schools like Kansas and SMU for the 6-foot-11 Turner.
Berkowitz then cites a lack of a basketball atmosphere at a football-focused school, the lack of attention paid to basketball throughout campus and the city of Austin and the track record of head coach Rick Barnes not being as prolific as Bill Self’s or Larry Brown’s.
Berkowitz doesn’t go into much detail about the benefits that his home school could provide as a counterpoint.
Turner makes his collegiate decision on April 30th.
(H/T: SI Extra Mustard)
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Virginia, an MVC showdown and UNC-Louisville 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 13
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (5)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)