University of Texas student columnist gives unsigned five-star senior Myles Turner reasons to avoid Longhorns
Apr 25, 2014, 10:02 PM EDT
It wouldn’t be surprising to see a student newspaper columnist write a positive column to a recruit talking about the student’s home school. Most of the time those columns are aimed at explaining the benefits of joining their program and why it would result in titles and greatness.
That wasn’t the case with The Daily Texan student columnist Evan Berkowitz with his straight-to-the-point column, “Why five-star recruit Myles Turner should not choose Texas“.
Texas is recruiting the Euless, Texas native Turner, an unsigned McDonald’s All-American and No. 9 in Rivals.com’s class of 2014 national rankings, and competing with schools like Kansas and SMU for the 6-foot-11 Turner.
Berkowitz then cites a lack of a basketball atmosphere at a football-focused school, the lack of attention paid to basketball throughout campus and the city of Austin and the track record of head coach Rick Barnes not being as prolific as Bill Self’s or Larry Brown’s.
Berkowitz doesn’t go into much detail about the benefits that his home school could provide as a counterpoint.
Turner makes his collegiate decision on April 30th.
(H/T: SI Extra Mustard)
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 0
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason 3
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (8)
- NCAA rules committee proposes 30-second shot clock, fewer timeouts (5)
- St. John’s lands 2015 point guard Marcus LoVett Jr. (4)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (4)