University of Texas student columnist gives unsigned five-star senior Myles Turner reasons to avoid Longhorns
Apr 25, 2014, 10:02 PM EDT
It wouldn’t be surprising to see a student newspaper columnist write a positive column to a recruit talking about the student’s home school. Most of the time those columns are aimed at explaining the benefits of joining their program and why it would result in titles and greatness.
That wasn’t the case with The Daily Texan student columnist Evan Berkowitz with his straight-to-the-point column, “Why five-star recruit Myles Turner should not choose Texas“.
Texas is recruiting the Euless, Texas native Turner, an unsigned McDonald’s All-American and No. 9 in Rivals.com’s class of 2014 national rankings, and competing with schools like Kansas and SMU for the 6-foot-11 Turner.
Berkowitz then cites a lack of a basketball atmosphere at a football-focused school, the lack of attention paid to basketball throughout campus and the city of Austin and the track record of head coach Rick Barnes not being as prolific as Bill Self’s or Larry Brown’s.
Berkowitz doesn’t go into much detail about the benefits that his home school could provide as a counterpoint.
Turner makes his collegiate decision on April 30th.
(H/T: SI Extra Mustard)
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 0
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 0
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)