University of Texas student columnist gives unsigned five-star senior Myles Turner reasons to avoid Longhorns
Apr 25, 2014, 10:02 PM EDT
It wouldn’t be surprising to see a student newspaper columnist write a positive column to a recruit talking about the student’s home school. Most of the time those columns are aimed at explaining the benefits of joining their program and why it would result in titles and greatness.
That wasn’t the case with The Daily Texan student columnist Evan Berkowitz with his straight-to-the-point column, “Why five-star recruit Myles Turner should not choose Texas“.
Texas is recruiting the Euless, Texas native Turner, an unsigned McDonald’s All-American and No. 9 in Rivals.com’s class of 2014 national rankings, and competing with schools like Kansas and SMU for the 6-foot-11 Turner.
Berkowitz then cites a lack of a basketball atmosphere at a football-focused school, the lack of attention paid to basketball throughout campus and the city of Austin and the track record of head coach Rick Barnes not being as prolific as Bill Self’s or Larry Brown’s.
Berkowitz doesn’t go into much detail about the benefits that his home school could provide as a counterpoint.
Turner makes his collegiate decision on April 30th.
(H/T: SI Extra Mustard)
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 7
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (7)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)