University of Texas student columnist gives unsigned five-star senior Myles Turner reasons to avoid Longhorns
Apr 25, 2014, 10:02 PM EDT
It wouldn’t be surprising to see a student newspaper columnist write a positive column to a recruit talking about the student’s home school. Most of the time those columns are aimed at explaining the benefits of joining their program and why it would result in titles and greatness.
That wasn’t the case with The Daily Texan student columnist Evan Berkowitz with his straight-to-the-point column, “Why five-star recruit Myles Turner should not choose Texas“.
Texas is recruiting the Euless, Texas native Turner, an unsigned McDonald’s All-American and No. 9 in Rivals.com’s class of 2014 national rankings, and competing with schools like Kansas and SMU for the 6-foot-11 Turner.
Berkowitz then cites a lack of a basketball atmosphere at a football-focused school, the lack of attention paid to basketball throughout campus and the city of Austin and the track record of head coach Rick Barnes not being as prolific as Bill Self’s or Larry Brown’s.
Berkowitz doesn’t go into much detail about the benefits that his home school could provide as a counterpoint.
Turner makes his collegiate decision on April 30th.
(H/T: SI Extra Mustard)
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)