Apr 26, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Guard David Cohn, who averaged 3.9 points and 1.2 rebounds in 15 minutes of action per game as a freshman at Colorado State, has decided to transfer to William & Mary. The news was first reported by Evan Daniels of Scout.com and confirmed by multiple outlets. Cohn will have three seasons of eligibility remaining after sitting out the 2014-15 campaign per NCAA transfer rules.
Cohn’s best offensive outing of the season came in a win over Prairie View A&M, as he made all four of his shot attempts from the field (3-for-3 3PT) and scored 15 points. That was one of three games in which Cohn reached double figures, with the other two outings coming against non-Division I opposition.
In an article written by Matt L. Stephens of The Coloradoan, Cohn discussed why he chose Tony Shaver’s program:
“I’m just excited for this opportunity and I love their coaches and it is a great place to be,” Cohn said. “I really like my fit there. I’m just blessed to have had choices I’ve had and the people — my dad, mom and AAU coach — who have helped me make this choice.
“I’m just very lucky and thankful for everything that’s happened in my life.”
William & Mary will have just one senior in its backcourt next season but that player’s a very important one: Marcus Thornton. Thornton, one of the best players in the CAA, averaged 18.7 points, 2.8 assists and 2.3 rebounds per game in leading the Tribe to a 20-win season and a spot in the CAA tournament title game.
In addition to Cohn, William & Mary adds a four-member recruiting class with three of the newcomers being guards. That group, along with rising sophomore Daniel Dixon (3.5 ppg in 26 games), will be among the players asked to help account for the loss of Thornton when he runs out of eligibility after the 2014-15 season.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)