Apr 26, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT
Oklahoma lost sophomore guard Je’lon Hornbeak to transfer a few weeks ago, but the Sooners have already picked up a new guard to help offset the loss of their former backup guard.
According to a report from Bob Pryzbylo of Sooners Illustrated, Oklahoma landed a commitment from Westchester Community College point guard Giovanni McLean on Friday. McLean told Pryzbylo that he plans to sign his letter of intent next week.
The 6-foot-1 point guard averaged 16.8 points, 7.2 assists and 4.6 rebounds per game on 43.7 percent shooting from three-point range at Westchester last season and gives the Sooners a guard that can immediately play the minutes left behind by Hornbeak.
“It feels like a big boulder has been lifted off my shoulders,” McLean said in the story. “I just loved it. It was great to get to know the coaches and players. Getting that bond with the coaches was something I was really looking for.”
Hornbeak averaged 18 minutes a game last season and scored 5.1 points to go along with 2.6 assists and 1.8 rebounds per game on 39 percent shooting and 22 percent shooting from three-point range.
Since Oklahoma returns double-figure scorers Jordan Woodard and Isaiah Cousins in the starting backcourt, McLean will get valuable minutes as the third guard. Woodard averaged 10.3 points and 4.6 assists per game in his freshman year while Cousins averaged 11 points and 4.2 rebounds.
“I was able to catch a few of their games this season, and I really like the way they play,” McLean said in the story. “I think it’s going to be a great fit.”
McLearn was also considering Missouri, Texas State, Memphis and St. John’s according to Pryzbylo.
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)