Apr 26, 2014, 10:57 AM EST
Oklahoma lost sophomore guard Je’lon Hornbeak to transfer a few weeks ago, but the Sooners have already picked up a new guard to help offset the loss of their former backup guard.
According to a report from Bob Pryzbylo of Sooners Illustrated, Oklahoma landed a commitment from Westchester Community College point guard Giovanni McLean on Friday. McLean told Pryzbylo that he plans to sign his letter of intent next week.
The 6-foot-1 point guard averaged 16.8 points, 7.2 assists and 4.6 rebounds per game on 43.7 percent shooting from three-point range at Westchester last season and gives the Sooners a guard that can immediately play the minutes left behind by Hornbeak.
“It feels like a big boulder has been lifted off my shoulders,” McLean said in the story. “I just loved it. It was great to get to know the coaches and players. Getting that bond with the coaches was something I was really looking for.”
Hornbeak averaged 18 minutes a game last season and scored 5.1 points to go along with 2.6 assists and 1.8 rebounds per game on 39 percent shooting and 22 percent shooting from three-point range.
Since Oklahoma returns double-figure scorers Jordan Woodard and Isaiah Cousins in the starting backcourt, McLean will get valuable minutes as the third guard. Woodard averaged 10.3 points and 4.6 assists per game in his freshman year while Cousins averaged 11 points and 4.2 rebounds.
“I was able to catch a few of their games this season, and I really like the way they play,” McLean said in the story. “I think it’s going to be a great fit.”
McLearn was also considering Missouri, Texas State, Memphis and St. John’s according to Pryzbylo.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)